Monday, October 24, 2011

It Feels Like A Congee Day


I think I've been in denial. Wearing sandals and trying to get away without wearing a heavy sweater or jacket will not ward off Fall and Winter. Summer, where did you go!?!?!

With the crisp Fall air (okay, blasting Wizard of Oz-like winds!) we've been getting, it's time for the comfort of warm, feel good soups!  In my family, Congee and Arroz Caldo have been favourites in the cold Winter months.
Photo from here via Google Images (because I can't find my digital camera and my cell phone camera is terrible!)

Both soups are basically rice soups. They're porridge-like in consistency. They really stick to your ribs and keep you warm! My toddler and Hubby aren't big fans of fresh ginger, so for them, I go easy on the ginger.

Congee Recipe
  • Chicken, cut into serving pieces
  • 10 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
  • fresh ginger
  • scallions, sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup rice
Cooking Instructions

1. In a big, heavy pot, boil water and bring chicken pieces to boil. Make sure to skim the froth off the surface. Add rice wine, ginger, scallions, and salt and cook uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and place in a bowl for later and continue to cook chicken stock. Simmer for 2 hours and a half hours.

2. Once chicken is cooled enough, remove skin and bones. Shred chicken.

3. Pour chicken stock through a sieve into a large bowl and remove any solids. Return stock to cleaned pot and add rice. Bring to a boil and stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered until consistency of oatmeal. Stir frequently during last 1/2 hour of cooking. The Congee will continue to thicken as it stands. You can thin the soup with water if necessary.

4. To garnish, you can add finely sliced fresh ginger, thinly sliced scallions, and a drizzle of sesame oil

I had congee at a Chinese restaurant in Toronto on Friday. The one we had didn't have chicken in it. It had shrimp. This recipe is actually based on my Filipina Grandma's arroz caldo recipe. I make this soup and call it either congee or arroz caldo (with no distinction between the two soups).

8 comments:

Lee-Anne said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I've had Congee at restaurants, but didn't realize it was so easy to make. I'll definitely be trying the recipe out soon!

C said...

Lee-Anne:
Thank you for popping by and commenting :) I know, right? It's ridiculously easy! Let me know how it turns out when you make it! :)

caninecologne said...

hi c- cool! i've never made my arroz caldo with rice wine before, so i must try that out.

i also put lots of fried chopped garlic on top as garnish. my fave pieces of chicken to use are the wings (i know, too fatty but oh so good)...

this is definitely one of my fave comfort food dishes.

C said...

Canine:
OMG! How could I have forgotten the fried garlic on top?!?! Mmmm! I looooove garlic!!!

Kimberly said...

I'm clinging to flip flops till my toes fall off.
Burrrrrrrrrr....
so when are you coming to my house to make that? It's kind of sord of warmer down south in Canada...

Lee-Anne said...

Making it for a second time (checked the post to to refresh my memory) - de-lish!

C said...

Kimberly:
Still clinging onto your flip flops? :) I still refuse to acknowledge that it just may be winter boots time soon. Eeek!

C said...

Lee-Anne:
YAY! Hmmm...maybe I should make that tonight. It's kinda chilly!

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Follow by Email

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails