Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Meatless Monday #3


Funny how Mondays have a way of creeping up on us! Not that weekends are much different from weekdays around here, since the farm is a 24-7 job. No days off. No holidays. No rest for the wicked.

Inspired by my friend (Maria), I started participating in Meatless Mondays. I didn't really start it because I wanted to take part of a new food revolution or to kibosh meat all together. I am, after all, married to a beef farmer and raising cattle is part of our livelihood.

No, I decided to join because I feel as North Americans, we consume far too much meat. Portion sizes have gotten out of control. I know my husband loves a good burger (double patty with bacon) or a good steak. Meat is fine and all, but like anything else, in moderation.

I guess that in essence, I joined Meatless Monday just because I wanted to make a conscious and concerted effort to make sure my family eats properly. It fits into the "barely any processed-boxed-canned-frozen-pre made-convenience foods" idea that we believe in.

Today, I made a variation of my Mediterranean salad. This time, I didn't have any feta cheese. I also added baby spinach just for some extra vitamins.

C's Chickpea Salad
1 can chickpeas
1 c quartered or halved grape tomatoes
1 c black olives, sliced
1 c cucumber (I cut each round into quarters)
1 c baby spinach
whole wheat macaroni noodles, cooked
olive oil and balsamic vinegar as the dressing

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss. Add cooked macaroni, toss and make sure to coat all ingredients with dressing.

This recipe was insanely easy to make. How could you go wrong with a recipe that calls for only seven or eight ingredients?! You can add herbs, salt, black pepper, etc. I find it tastes great on its own like that though. I sometimes add more tomatoes, since I really want Hubby to eat lots and lots of tomatoes.

Tomatoes are an excellent source of Lycopene, which is said to be a major agent in preventing certain cancers. In the past few years, both Hubby and I have lost loved ones to cancer (of different types). I'm hoping that if we continue to eat a healthy, balanced diet like the one we currently have and continue to do manual/physical labour (we live on a farm, remember?), this will all help. Of course, sometimes even if one does everything possible to prevent cancer, that's not even enough. At least we can try though.

0 comments:

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails