Friday, April 06, 2012

Easter Cupcakes!


When I was a kid, we celebrated every Easter with my entire family.  We'd go to church for Easter service, we'd have a giant Easter egg hunt at my aunt's house, and then we'd have a huge Easter meal.  The holidays with my family were always joyous events.  Growing up in a close-knit family, we really enjoyed spending lots of time together.  My cousins were all like siblings to me, and my aunts, uncles and extended family were like second parents to me.  Of course, my grandparents were the patriarch and matriarch of the family and they were the glue that held us all together.

Now my cousins, brothers and I are all scattered all over Quebec and Ontario.  We live hours away from each other and I have since had to form my own traditions for my own little family.  It truly breaks my heart to know that Little One won't experience the wonderful childhood I experienced.  I know hers will be a great one and she won't know what she's missing.  It's just that family is so very important to me and having her cousins 11 hours away is just really heartbreaking.  I get homesick during the holidays.

Thank goodness she has her grandparents here! She also has a few members of Hubby's family here, but life is so busy and we seldom see them.

I want to create some new traditions for Little One to look back on and remember with fondness.  Today, Little One's babysitter and friend came over and baked "Easter Cupcakes" with her.  They're basically "rainbow cupcakes" and they are so pretty!
{EASTER CUPCAKES}
Ingredients:

Dry Ingredients:
2.5 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c butter
1 c sugar (we used Dememera)
3 eggs
Food colouring (red, blue, yellow, green)

Instructions:
  • Line two 12 cup muffin tins with paper baking cups (so you have two dozen). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Stir dry ingredients in a large bowl. 
  • Whisk together wet ingredients in another bowl (except for the butter and sugar - beat those ingredients together in a large bowl until fluffy). Add together and add eggs, one at a time.
  • Pour dry mixture into wet mixture. Mix until evenly blended.
  • Take four bowls and evenly distribute batter into each. Add a few drops of food colouring to create the shades you desire. We did blue, pink, green and purple. Make sure to mix well.
  • With a different spoon for each different colour of batter, take a spoonful of batter and spoon it into each cupcake liner. Keep adding a colour at a time, making sure not to mix/blend the batter. It should look like layers of different colours. 
  • Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. We found that 16 minutes was just about right.




Aren't those the coolest cupcakes ever? I'm going to have to tweak the recipe so that it doesn't call for that much sugar or fat. I'm not too keen on the amount of oil, butter, sugar, and eggs in them. Basically, use whatever white/vanilla cupcake batter you normally use (I suppose if you're not a baker, you could use boxed cupcake mix).  Then divide into different bowls for different colours of batter.

Little One was so impressed with how pretty the cupcakes were, but the funny thing is that she didn't eat them!  For some reason, she's not much of a cake person. Oh, well! More cupcakes for Dad, then!

    6 comments:

    Cherry said...

    Those are so pretty! I love the color combo.

    I haven't figured out my LO and her deal with cake yet. She loves stuff like quick breads - she calls it cake, but if I actually make cupcakes she doesn't eat the cake, only the frosting. Same with doughnuts. If there is a frosting on them, she only eats the frosting. I guess I was the same :)

    but if there is no frosting, then she'll eat the cake part. Silly Bunny.

    I hope you have a lovely Easter. I totally get wanting to start your own nuclear family traditions. We've found it interesting to see what traditions each Eric and I had as kids that we want to continue and what new ones we come up with. and then there is the merge of what we did as kids.

    Unknown said...

    Cherry:
    That is so interesting! My little one is like that too! Well, she loves baking, but doesn't like eating cakey, bread like foods. She's not big on carbs for some reason. Weird, eh? I don't either, but I have my reasons! LOL

    Unknown said...

    Would you like to be my first Blog Spotlight?

    http://www.contestingforcommoners.com/2012/04/blog-spotlight-announcement.html

    I love the cupcakes!!! Eek! So cute. It looks hard, but then again I'm a horrid cook :/

    Lee-Ann said...

    Those are pretty cool cupcakes! I feel sad that you miss your family so much. For us growing up we didn't do a lot with family because we were far away. Our family is pretty small so we don't spend a lot of time with them now that we have kids either. I do wish they spent more time with their cousins though. I am sure they will remember the great memories from their immediate family though and that is so important.

    Unknown said...

    Stefanie:
    Thanks so much for featuring me in your blog spotlight! :)

    The cupcakes were actually not hard to make! :) It just looks like it was! ;) I know...sneaky!

    Unknown said...

    Lee-Ann:
    Yes. Definitely homesick for family. I feel so sad :( I know I need to make memories for my little nuclear family, but growing up so close to my ENTIRE family on my mom's side, I've been spoiled. LOL! Really, REALLY miss everyone...especially during the holidays. XOXO

    From Our Farm to Your Table

    Blog Archive

    Farmers Feed Cities

    You Can Find Me Here!




    Affiliates

    Brand Ambassador for

    For Fellow Bloggers

    Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
    A Reliable Blogger

    Proud Recipient

    © 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

    About the Blog Author


    City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
    Contact Me

    Les Boutons!

    Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

    Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

    Let's Connect

    Members

    Support


    Photobucket


    Related Posts with Thumbnails