Saturday, June 08, 2013

Roasted Miso Honey Glazed Carrots: A Request By My 4 Year Old


I admit it.  I'm a cooking show fanatic.  It started when I was very young.  My maternal grandparents (may they both rest in peace) used to watch cooking shows and soap operas all the time and the cooking show love was passed down to their grandchildren.

Food Network or cooking shows on CBC -- It doesn't matter.  I'm hooked. 

It's no surprise that my four year old is also a huge fan of food TV.  When she was two years old, if there was a cooking segment on Steven and Chris, she would stop whatever she was doing and become fixated.  When I was food blogging for season one of Recipe to Riches, Little One was totally involved in the experience too.  She never missed an episode!

Today, she turned on the TV while I was cleaning the house and was watching In the Kitchen with Stefano Faita!

I wasn't paying too much attention, but could hear the show in the background.  I did end up catching the end of the show, so when Little One said she wanted Stefano's roasted miso honey glazed carrots, I figured I could recreate the dish with what info I did hear.
What my four year old neglected to tell me was that it wasn't just roasted carrots.  It was really Roasted Carrots & Brussels Sprouts in Miso Honey!

Here's Stefano's amazing  Roasted Carrots & Brussels Sprouts in Miso Honey recipe, and here's what I ended up making...

Roasted Miso Honey Glazed Carrots

Ingredients:
4 large carrots, peeled and cut lengthwise down the middle (Stefano just cut his carrots in half and it made for stunning presentation)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp white miso paste
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp local Manitoulin honey
a bit of water
Salt and pepper

garnish
Sesame seeds
Parsley, choppped

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425 F
In a bowl mix together the miso paste, honey, olive oil, garlic, water (and salt and pepper to taste).
Arrange carrots on baking sheet and pour mixture over carrots. Mix, making sure carrots are coated evenly.
Roast in oven for 20 min.
Once cooked, arrange in serving dish and garnish with parsley and sesame seeds.

Though my four year old INHALED the roasted carrots and deemed them to be her new favourite dish, next time I am going to try Stefano's original recipe!  I LOVE Brussels Sprouts, and am always looking for new ways to cook them.  This will be delicious, I'm sure! 

Totally missed the part of the segment where Stefano was cooking this dish and therefore missed the part about the ginger, Brussels Sprouts, and cilantro instead of parsley! It was still delish!  My four year old has given her two thumbs up.She was the one who added the garnish and was very pleased with herself.

Watch Stefano's videos online here

What's your child's favourite dish? Do your kids enjoy cooking shows?

0 comments:

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails