Friday, February 24, 2006

Amazing!!!


I was reading my friend's blog and she wrote about recently meeting up with an old friend after years of not seeing each other. There's nothing like catching up with someone again after so many years. I think it's great when people can do this.

In university, I had a really amazing friend named Hillary. She was awesome. This girl was bright, hardworking, fun, pretty, and just a blast to be around. We had a few English Lit classes together and we used to go out together quite a bit. Urgh...I remember we had a Shakespeare class together- unfortunately it was a night class! We also had a three hour Victorian Lit class together. Cheers was our hangout on Thursday nights because it was ladies' night and it was a hop, skip and a stone throw away from campus. Yes, we had a lot of fun. Some stories I will never be able to tell my daughters!

Anyway, we lost touch for some reason. Neither of us really knows what happened. I moved to Toronto and Hillary went to Ireland. We played telephone tag, but couldn't reach each other and then that was that. Hillary had always been in my thoughts. She was such a great friend that I was upset we had lost touch. That was in 1996 or 1997 because I went to Japan to teach in 1998. Thinking of my old friend, I decided to track her down. I was very unsuccessful! I tried so many avenues and came up with nada, zip, zilch, nothing! Canada411 and all those other people search sites didn't work.

Finally, in 2005, I was almost to the point where I thought I would never get in touch with Hillary again, I perused our alma mater...the Concordia Alumni page. (Yes, I attended Concordia and York) I noticed that there was a service that could track down old classmates. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I plugged in all our info and hoped that Concordia would find Hillary for me.

Months and months went by, and no news. That was it...at least I tried. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" right? Then one day, I get this phone call. "Christine??" "Yes." "It's Hillary!!!" followed by minutes of "OH MY GOSH!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!" from both ends. Crazy! We chatted for ages and it seemed like it was only yesterday that we last spoke and not over 8 years ago! Can you believe not having contact with someone for 8 years and then reconnecting?? It was awesome! In many ways, a lot has changed, but at the same time, we've remained the same. It's hard to describe. In the span of 8 years so much has happened in our lives; we both moved to different countries, and both had crazy, good and bad experiences. It is so nice to be able to pick up from where we left off.

Hill came to visit me last year when I was in Kingston visiting my brothers and my sister-in-law. I went back to Ottawa with her for a bit and we did a lot of catching up. She's now at school in the U.S. and I'm on Manitoulin Island. How crazy (and exciting/refreshing) life is!

Thank goodness for the internet, the Concordia University Alumni webpage, the telephone and e-mail!!! Technology...gotta luv it!

0 comments:

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails