Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Momnesia and Homemade Lasagna Noodles


Last week, I blogged about how I do insane things for my loved ones like bake cupcakes at 4AM and then make homemade lasagna (and homemade lasagna noodles) for supper! Yes, I'm crazy like that sometimes!

I also blogged about how ever since I gave birth to my precious little daughter a year ago, I seem to be suffering from "Momnesia"!

I promised Jackie @ Jackie's Jumble of Life that I'd post the recipe.

Of course, I forgot! Well, I remembered that I told her I'd post it...but forgot to post the recipe. Confusing? Ha! That pretty much describes my life these days!
C's Homemade Lasagna Noodle Recipe
Making your own noodles really not as labour-intensive or difficult as one may think. It's far less daunting and time consuming as most people may believe...even without a pasta maker! Seriously, it took me less than ten minutes to make the noodles. You can tweak the recipe as you feel fit, but this is just something I put together. My Mom asked where I learned to make homemade lasagna noodles, and I sort of pointed to my head and said "from my head!"

Ingredients
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • ½ tsp. oregano
  • ½ tsp. onion powder
  • ½ tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 ½ cups warm water
*I've also made these noodles without the herbs and it worked out well. Add the oregano, onion powder and garlic powder if you wish.*

Instructions

1. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, basil, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder together.
2. Add water and mix well. I use a wooden spoon and then to make sure I've got all the mixture properly combined, I use my hands.
3. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough.
4. Roll out the dough until thin. I try to roll it out as thinly as I can without it breaking when held.
5. To make even noodles, use a pizza cutter to cut into equal strips.
6. In a pot of boiling water (you can add a bit of salt to flavour your water), add a few of your lasagna noodles. Cook only a few at a time so the noodles don't stick to each other. Cook for five minutes. The noodles will look limp/floppy. Don't worry. They'll finish cooking in the oven.
7. Drain noodles.
8. In a baking dish, layer your homemade lasagna noodles and follow your favourite lasagna recipe. Bake in the oven. I usually do a layer of tomato sauce, noodles, ricotta cheese, spinach, sauce, noodles, ricotta cheese, spinach (you get the idea) and then top it off with Parmesan cheese or grated Mozarella cheese.Enjoy!

We know Little One loves homemade lasagna!

12 comments:

hotmommy said...

oh my god chris! too funny lolololol

Jackie said...

you are the best blogger ever!
thanks!!!!

J said...

I think I might need to be invited over next time you make that. But not Maya. She HATES lasagna. ;)

Unknown said...

HM:
I know! The lasagna face is pretty crazy, eh? Soooooo messy!!!

Unknown said...

Jackie:
:) Let me know how it turns out for you if you make it. I made it for tonight's supper, but instead of lasagna, I made ravioli!!! I used a fork to seal the edges.

We'll be at the pool on Tues. Hope to run into you soon!

Unknown said...

J:
:) You're always welcome for a meal and a visit!! Say hi to Maya for Little One and me! xo

Jane - Mom Generations said...

You are SUCH an inspiration to this wannabe cook, C! You make even lasagna from scratch look possible. And that picture at the end is priceless! Soooo cute!!! XXOO

Unknown said...

Jane:
It's ridiculously easy (and fast!) to make! Seriously! :) Little One sends you her hugs! xoxoox

Uncivil said...

Little one makes that dish look so yummy.
How is Chance doing by the way?

Unknown said...

Jimmy:
Thanks for asking about Chance! :) He seems to be doing okay. He's not his usual happy-go-lucky self though. He used to have so much energy and was always so happy. He's recovering and is able to walk again. He did chase a deer the other day...all of three steps though! LOL! Poor doggy :( He just wants to stay inside the house and on his doggy bed. I'd like him to be out in the sun for a few hours a day though. It's gorgeous out!

caninecologne said...

hi c - yesterday tc asked me how chance was doing. i just read your previous comment. glad to hear he is doing better. tc loves animals (even though we don't own any) and she felt badly when she learned chance was hurt. she is looking forward to meeting chance, fred and george and, get this, your cattle!

word ver:
wheri

Uncivil said...

Oh, the poor boy is still hurting. Darn.....I hope he makes a complete recovery!

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails