Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tonight I Bawled My Eyes Out


I don't get a chance to watch too much TV, but one of my must-see shows is Grey's Anatomy.

Tonight, I wasn't sure if I was watching Grey's or Glee with all the singing going on.  Some may not like the surgeons and ER doctors breaking out in song, but I have to say that I kind of liked it.  It's not like they're going to do this every episode.  It was well done and the storyline made me reach for the Kleenex box several times! This episode had me crying so much that I was shaking.


**Spoiler Alert!** Please do not read any further if you have not  watched tonight's episode yet.
Just after Arizona asks Callie to marry her, the couple get into a horrific car accident.  Callie is in critical condition and her baby's life is on the line as well. Why all the singing? Callie's injuries cause her out of body experience. From the trauma, it appears that everyone sings as her life is hanging by a thread.

The reason this episode made me bawl my eyes out was because though the circumstances were very different from ours, just seeing Callie's 1 lb, 1 oz baby (I think she was a 23 weeker) brought back a flood of memories of our own time in the NICU.

Little One was born at 2 lbs, 3 oz and at 28 weeks. That was two years ago, and yet tonight's episode of Grey's just triggered all the memories. I wasn't expecting to react that way.  When I saw that tiny body being worked on, I thought "Oh, my gosh. Little One was that tiny when she was born". Now, look at her! She's here and she's happy and healthy.

Sometimes I wonder how on earth I survived those scary, rocky first days, weeks, and months in the NICU.  I was chatting with another parent of a preemie who said the said. We both commented on how going through all of that made us stronger people. I agree. If we could survive those early (and scary!) days then we can survive anything.  I learned that I'm a lot stronger than I give myself credit for...and that my daughter is such an amazing and strong fighter. She is a miracle.



Now, I'm kind of half-scared to see what the next episode of Grey's will bring!

2 comments:

BusyMamma said...

when i saw that tiny baby i immediately thought of you and RA!
next season? I didn't know that was the season finale! It seems so early for that!
I didn't like the singing and found it kind of fake, athough i did like the songs they chose.

Unknown said...

BusyMamma:
Thank you so much for being there for Little One and me before, during, and after all the premature delivery drama. We love you HEAPS!!!

P.S. My bad. I don't know why I wrote "next season"!!! I meant next episode. D'OH!!!

Yeah, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about the whole singing thing, but in the end I decided that I actually did like it. It worked for me. I thought it was beautiful. The whole episode was beautifully directed. At least they're not going to be singing every episode though! That would be too much like a certain popular TV show ;) (I do like that other show though!).

From Our Farm to Your Table

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails