Sunday, July 02, 2006

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!


(One day late!) I was going to blog yesterday, but just didn't have any time. July 1st has always been special for me because as a child, I had always enjoyed all the festivities of our nation's special day. With concerts, fireworks, activities for kids and just the feeling of shared emotion felt by everyone, it makes it hard not to enjoy Canada Day.

This year was different for me. Usually, I enjoy the parade and festivities as a spectator. This time, I was on the other side...working!! As the wife of a firefighter, I (along with all the other firefighters' wives) helped out with all the Canada Day activities. My job this year was to work at the yard sale. I think we raised over $1000 selling people's donated items. (Lucky me! As I was cleaning our house, I was able to get rid of lots of our junk...and people bought it! For a good cause, of course!)

The entire day was spent watching the kids on the parade floats, manning the yard sale and silent auction (we auctioned off a 16 ft boat!! Can't remember how much horse power the engine had, but it was a good boat!). Later on in the afternoon, there was the annual fish fry. Being from the city, I had never been to a fish fry. It was quite the experience. I'm not a big fish eater, but the fish was really good. Fresh whitefish...a Manitoulin Island specialty! There was lots of food and again, all earnings went to special causes.

The night ended off with fireworks. What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday :) Good friends, good conversation, good causes, good times!!

PS. Now I'm worried! I know fundraising and volunteerism is a huge part of J's and my life, but everyone's putting on the heat for me to get certified as a First Response person! Yikes! As much as I'd love to help people in need, I worry that I may not be able to react accordingly should there be a life and death situation. What it boils down to is, I am afraid of being responsible for someone else's life. We'll see how long I can dodge these questions of me becoming certified!! ;p

0 comments:

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails