Thursday, September 28, 2006

Boooooks!! Uhhh..what's a book meme??


Got this from the ultra cool, highly intelligent, super fun Ms. Mamma (Thanks, Mamma!)

Book I think everyone should read:
Paulo Coelho’s “The Alchemist” just blew me away. Like the quote on the back of the book, it is indeed “a wise and inspiring fable about the pilgrimage that life should be.”

One book that changed your life:
Tough one...there are many that have changed my life. Don't laugh, but "The Outsiders" made me see that life is fleeting - you know, the "Nothing Gold Can Stay" bit thrown in there... and J.D. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye" moved me.


One book you read more than once:
Like Ms. Mamma, I'm a fan of the Bronte sisters and could read "Jane Eyre" again and again. I can also re-read "Memoirs of a Geisha" again. The movie "Memoirs of a Geisha" is premiering tonight on Star Choice, so I'm anxious to see whether or not the movie lives up to the book. Oh and one more book I could re-read is "Anne of Green Gables". I'm a little girl at heart :)

One book you want on a desert island:
Jean Auel’s “Clan of the Cave Bear”…I just couldn’t put the book down and didn’t want it to end. A must read! I'd also like to take with me, Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude".

One book that made you cry:
“Bastard Out of Carolina” by Dorothy Allison is shockingly heart-wrenching. Bone, a young girl, must test her loyalty to her mother when caught in a dreadfully horrifying situation with her step-father, Daddy Glen. Not for the faint of heart- this novel deals with abuse, physical and emotional. How anyone can do such things to a child really sickens me. The novel is also about growing up, coming of age, making decisions, family dynamics (mother/child, step-father/child), etc.

One book that made you laugh:
John Gray's "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus". Not sure if it was meant as a funny book, but it was to me! (Mostly because lots of the stuff discussed seemed to be true to me at the time!) Oh, does "The Importance of Being Ernest" count as a book??? It's a play, but you can read it...so it's also a book, right? Oscar Wilde cracks me up. What an eccentric chap he was. Love the play on words too.


One book you wish would have been written:

"How to Tune Out When Someone Around You is Annoying", "How to Tell Someone they're Stupid Without Hurting Their Feelings"... lol



One book you wish had never been written:
Edith Wharton’s “The Custom of the Country” has got to be (for me, at least) quite possibly one of the most boring books on earth. Even though I majored in English Lit, and this novel was a ‘must read’ for all Lit students, it bored me to tears. I wanted to burn it when we were done with it. I think I donated it to the library fundraiser! LOL


One book you are currently (re)reading (again & again):
"Memoirs of a Geisha"- I just wanted to read it one more time before I see the movie. Oh, and Ben Okri's "The Famished Road".


One book you have been meaning to read:

Khalil Gibran's "The Prophet". I've heard so many great things about it and I've read a few quotes from Gibran that are inspiring. I've got "The Prophet" on my bookshelf, but haven't read it yet.


Three people you will tag:

Jill
Dina
Curiosity Killer


4 comments:

Ms. Mamma said...

I found an old copy of "The Prophet" in a trash pile in front of some old persons house. I haven't read it, only bits and it is amazing, especially the part on children. I immediately started bawling, it's so touching.

YAY! We both like the BRontes and Salinger's masterpiece. I too, LOVED Memoirs of a GEisha. I haven't seen any movies in like forever.

I think you know that when Snowflake came into the world I sold my 36" Wega and cancelled cable. Somehow I don't think the 13" Sponge Bob TV(that's an Emerson) would do it justice.

Thanks for playing, sista!

Unknown said...

NP...and thank YOU for the cool meme! T'was fun :) Neat to see we enjoy some of the same books! How's that saying go? "Great minds think alike....fools seldom differ." lol ;p

Anonymous said...

Hey C. The Prophet is one of my favourite reads. Nice list by the way. Very ecclectic choice of books.

Unknown said...

Stephen, in case you're reading this, I meant to tag you and E as well.

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails