Saturday, September 02, 2006

Homemade apple sauce


Busy, busy, busy. Now that the students have left and I am not teaching summer students, it's time to help my hubby with the farm. My MIL and I were doing some pickling and making apple sauce, but before that, we had to clean out the grain bin and do some caulking.

With all the apples about ready to be picked, I've made LOTS of apple sauce!! I used to use my blender and puree the stuff, but my MIL introduced me to an amazing invention...a FRUIT PRESS!!! It's basically a specially designed strainer on legs that you use to press the fruit into a sauce. She also does her tomato juice this way. My blender is amazing, but if I don't peel the apples first, it leaves little skin and I don't like the texture that way. I like my applesauce smooooothe!!

Here's what you need:
apples (# depends on size and I use more than one variety for flavour and color).
sugar (use your discretion)
Dutch oven
a bit of water
fruit press
bowl

Cut/quarter your apples (no need for peeling) and add a bit of water into Dutch oven. Add apples. Let cook until soft. Once cooked, put into fruit press and press. Once done, add sugar. You can add whatever spices you like (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc), but I like my applesauce as it is.

Enjoy :)

0 comments:

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails