Sunday, February 24, 2008

Tap that fine piece of...


Maple, of course!!!

It's time to tap those beautiful trees and make some of that wonderful liquid gold!

We've got acres upon acres of beautiful land. Fortunately, we've got some maple trees amongst the birch, cedar, walnut, and other varieties of trees. Since it's a gorgeous and mild day with blue skies and lots of sunshine, it's the perfect day for tapping!If you've been reading my blog since last year, you may remember Hubby's first time making maple syrup! What fun! This year we are going to try to double or even triple the amount we made last year because we only had one bottle to ourselves! Everyone kept asking for some and we obliged, of course! For our first time trying to make maple syrup, we only made about fifteen bottles. We would have had more had we not scorched the first batch! Practice makes perfect! This homemade maple syrup is deeeeeelish!!!

Sunny days like these always make me want to sing this Bob Marley tune!
Sun is shining, the weather is sweet
Make you want to move your dancing feet
To the rescue, here I am
Want you to know ya, where I stand

(Monday morning) here I am
Want you to know just if you can
(Tuesday evening) where I stand
(Wednesday morning) tell myself a new day is rising
(Thursday evening) get on the rise a new day is dawning
(Friday morning) here I am
(Saturday evening) want you to know just
Want you to know just where I stand

When the morning gathers the rainbow
Want you to know I'm a rainbow too
So, to the rescue here I am
Want you to know just if you can
Where I stand, know, know, know, know, know

We'll lift our heads and give JAH praises
We'll lift our heads and give JAH praises, yeah

Sun is shining, the weather is sweet now
Make you want to move your dancing feet
To the rescue, here I am
Want you to know just if you can
Where I stand, know, know, know, where I stand

Monday morning, scoo-be-doop-scoop-scoop
Tuesday evening, scoo-be-doop-scoop-scoop
Wednesday morning, scoo-be-doop-scoop-scoop
Thursday evening, scoo-be-doop-scoop-scoop
Friday morning, scoo-be-doop-scoop-scoop
Saturday evening, scoo-be-doop-scoop-scoop

So to the rescue, to the rescue, to the rescue
Awake from your sleep and slumber
Today could be your lucky number
Sun is shining and the weather is sweet


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always an interesting and pleasant read. You lot are very interesting! Save me some of that maple syrup!

-Pete

Jan said...

How great to make something so traditional as maple syrup. It appeals to my earth mother side.

Uncivil said...

I almost bought some maple syrup while at the grocery store tonight!
My inner self must have sensed something need to be tapped?
You guys are the coolest!

Unknown said...

Pete:
Why, thank you very much! I don't think we're all that interesting, but if you say so... ;)

I'd send you some maple syrup, but don't know if the Japanese Customs will allow any homemade stuff into the country! LOL!

Jan:
This will be our second year making our own maple syrup. I'm very excited. I LOVE the stuff! Now that I've had a taste of homemade maple syrup, I can never go back to store bought stuff!

Unknown said...

Uncivil:
LOL! You always make me smile! You're so funny :) Hubby was laughing at me because when he said we were going to tap some trees today, I was going around singing, "Tap that thang!" LOL! I know...I'm kooky!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE pure spun maple syrup. You are so lucky. If I lived by you I'd beg you for a bottle. :)

Jennifer Disney said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog Chrissy! What a fun blog you have!

Cherry said...

My husband would LOVE to try to make maple syrup. He grew up with syrup made in his hometown, and to this day his mom still sends him some at Christmas or anytime in the year he requests a restocking.

Me... I grew up with the fake stuff and think the real stuff just tastes like tree sap. I know, strike me down now!

Unknown said...

Christine:
If you lived around the corner from here, I'd give you a bottle of maple syrup! If you lived around the corner from us, I'd invite you over to hang out and Hubby and I would even teach SofieBug how to make homemade maple syrup! LOL! ;)

Jennifer:
I think I stumbled upon your blog via Starshine's. What beautiful photos you take!!!

Cherry:
Really? *gasp* LOL! Okay, you and the Hubs are invited for pancakes and maple syrup. You need to try the maple syrup my husband makes. I swear, it doesn't taste like tree sap! Liquid gold, baby! Liquid gold! Once you try it, you'll be hooked! ;)

Tracy said...

Homemade maple syrup...YUM! I'd love to try that on some pancakes! I bet you'll be having breakfast for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

BTW, your wedding pics are beautiful. :) I love beach weddings!

Jeanna said...

Maybe you could save some for good little boys and girls who deserve it at Christmas. A lot of work for a little bit of gold.
Your Word Verifications are getting longer and crazier, btw.

Unknown said...

Oh Maple Syrup sounds delish! Love that second shot. :)

merinz said...

Wow that is so amazing - to be able to make your own maple syrup!

We can buy maple syrup here but I think it is fake.

I do remember having the real kind when I lived in BC but it was so long ago.

Please do another post to show us the process.

Deb said...

well, you can never go wrong with a little Bob Marley and homemade maple syrup!

Karen MEG said...

I love maple syrup, and that is so cool that hubby is making his own. That stuff that we get in the grocery is just so not good enough, sigh..

Unknown said...

Starshine:
Thank you! :) I love your wedding photos! They're beautiful!
Can't wait for the maple syrup to be ready! Making maple syrup takes a lot of time! It's a very involved process. I never realized how much work it is!

Jeanna:
Fantastic idea! Maple syrup for Christmas presents!
LOL! What did you get for the word verification? They are getting weird!

Unknown said...

Lisa Marie:
Thanks :) I gave my friend (Curiosity Killer) a jar when she was here last summer and she poured it all over her bacon and it caramelized. *drool*

Mrinz:
I will most definitely post some photos to show you the maple syrup making process. We don't have any of the fancy machinery, so don't laugh! :)

Unknown said...

Deb:
I luv me my Bob Marley music! ;)

Karen:
If you guys come during the summer, I'll give you a bottle!

caninecologne said...

wow, that is so cool that you make your own maple syrup!

Anonymous said...

we get a jar of your maple syrup - called it!!!!!!!!!!!!

robkroese said...

That's sweet. (Ha!) Seriously, making your own syrup sounds like fun, and I bet it tastes awesome.

Heidi said...

y'know - I still have a jar of your gold hidden in my fridge. It's my little pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen that in a tree before! I just had maple syrup this morning!

Nabeel said...

where I come from .. such taps and especially buckets are very common .. they are soo durable and reliable :)

From Our Farm to Your Table

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails