Monday, July 11, 2011

Meatless Monday: Veggie Quinoa Burgers


My old college and university buddy from my Montreal days is up visiting with his wife and baby.  Crazy to think that we've known each other since we were 17 and now we are both married and with kids!






Back in the day, I was hardcore vegetarian. The funny thing is that I married a beef farmer and I eat a bit of meat now.

My buddy is still veg, and in keeping with our Meatless Mondays, I decided to make Veggie Quinoa burgers. My buddy and I both agree that it's hard to find a good veggie burger. Licks' Nature Burgers are pretty good, but a good homemade veggie burger is like striking gold!

I'm happy to say that this recipe I concocted is a keeper. Even my beef farming husband agrees! That says a lot, people! My husband loves his steak and potatoes!

C's Veggie Quinoa Burgers

I have to apologize first for not including any measurements. I don't really use measurements when I cook, but mostly just go by taste. Also, please note that because of the nature and consistency of these burgers, you will have (like with pancakes), the first two sacrificial patties! After the first patties are cooked, the rest should come out flawlessly!

Ingredients:

Quinoa
Brown rice
Lentils
Chickpeas
Kidney beans
Black beans
Corn
Red pepper, diced (small)
Green pepper, diced (small)
Green onion/scallions, chopped
Cumin
Curry
Cinnamon (just a touch!)
Black pepper and sea salt
Garlic and celery powder
Eggs

Cooking instructions:
In a large bowl, add ALL ingredients. I used two cans of assorted beans/legumes because I didn't  have my regular beans in stock. I drained the beans and rinsed them. I cooked some Quinoa and brown rice (just enough to keep all the other ingredients "together". The eggs also help "bind" the ingredients. This time, I used 3 eggs as my binding agent. (I didn't have red or green pepper today, so they were omitted from the recipe)

You can either mash or puree the ingredients so that it forms a paste, but I kept them all in their original form. I don't like the way the mixture looks if it's pureed or mashed. With a serving spoon, I spooned some of the mixture, formed into patties, and placed into a heated pan (with oil already heated). Place no more than 4 patties in the pan at one time.

Sadly, it's difficult to grill or BBQ veggie burgers because of their consistency. You'll have to cook these veggie burgers some light oil. Lightly brown/cook in olive oil until firm and toasty brown. Very carefully, flip patty over with spatula and cook until firm. It only takes a few minutes on each side.

Serve on good quality buns or bread, topped with your favourite condiments.
I wanted to roast some garlic scapes to add as a topping, but ran out of time.

Sadly, Little One isn't much for the aesthetics that go hand in hand with food. She dismantled her burger!
 

7 comments:

Temara Brown said...

I. Going to try this!!! I want to see if flouir can substitute for the eggs.. Then we're vegan! YAY!

Unknown said...

Temara:
Yeah! That sounds like a great idea! I wonder if you get the right consistency for the rice (like make it kind of sticky) if it would help? The sticky rice and the flour might bind well?

Let me know if it works!

I was vegan for a while. It didn't last long (Ha! Only 3 months!!!). I love dairy way too much. Melted Brie is my weakness. That and Farqhuar's ice cream! LOL

louann said...

C, nevertheless, I think Little One did enjoy it!! =)

Unknown said...

Louann:
Though Little One does love her veggies, she's like her Dad in that she LOVES her steak! The kid loves meat...especially chicken! Thankfully she also loves her veggies. I think she prefers beef burgers to veggie burgers though (if given the choice!).

Robyn said...

I think I am going to try for Meatless Mondays too. I'm game for trying this recipe, but I'm not sure I can convince my hubby to try them simply based on aesthetics (you have to admit - they do not look like the most appetizing 'burgers' in the world).

I did have portobello mushrooms and garlic scapes (love the curly little fellows) on the barbeque a couple nights ago. Hubby asked to try mine (he was having sausages) and was impressed. Meatless Mondays won't be a problem, but expect me to bug you for recipes!

Unknown said...

Robyn:
LOL! They're big on flavour! As far as aesthetics go, this was a horrible, horrible photo of the patty! LOL!

CoachRobyn said...

Yum these look delicious, going to have to try it. Might try mixing up the spices (I am currently obsessed with adding mint and onions to meat burgers, might do that with these as an alternative to the curry flavours.)

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails