Thursday, July 11, 2013

Sizzlin' Summer Recipes with @CrosbysMolasses!


Summertime is BBQ season, kick back on the patio with a cold beverage season, and I-really-don't-want-to-turn-on-the-oven-let's-have-watermelon-or-salad-for-supper-instead season!


In my quest to try new-to-me recipes, I wanted to incorporate molasses into some of my dishes.  Why? Well, being Asian, I didn't exactly grow up using molasses in my food as a kid, and I am now married to a farmer whose mom uses molasses in her dishes.  There's a certain level of curiosity and also the want for a challenge, and that exciting challenge is cooking with molasses!

Sure, I can make a great gingersnap cookie with molasses, but I want to use it in BBQ recipes and things one wouldn't think to use molasses in!

I came across some Sizzlin' Summer Recipes with Crosby's Molasses!


First up - Iced Chai! I'm a sucker for chai and lovely cool beverages on a hot Summer day! I was perusing Crosby's Molasses' blog, Molasses and More and found out that they have some FREE e-books with tons of molasses recipes! 

This recipe in Crosby's Molasses Iced Chai recipe is divine!


Iced Chai Tea
from Crosby's The BBQ Book
1 cup milk (can substitute nut or soy milk)
1 tea bag chai tea
2 tsp Crosby's Fancy Molasses
1 tsp cinnamon
6-8 ice cubes

(makes generous serving)

Place milk and tea bag in a small pot and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let steep for 5 minutes, pressing down on tea bag with a spoon a few times.  

Remove tea bag from milk, transfer to a blender, add cinnamon. molasses, and ice cubes.  Whirr until it's slushy and a little foamy.  Transfer to a glass and garnish with a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Both my husband and our 4 year old daughter love ribs!  When I saw this recipe for Finger-Licking Oven Ribs in Crosby's The BBQ Book, I just had to make it!

The verdict?  See for yourself?

No dinner would be complete without a tasty side dish!  My family loves a good cabbage salad or coleslaw. The Carrot and Cabbage Slaw with Orange and Molasses Dressing looked interesting! I had to try it out!

Next week, I'm making the Molasses Glazed Grilled Shrimp and a salad with Molasses Herb Vinaigrette!
I'm really excited to have discovered the Molasses and More blog and Crosby's FREE e-books!

All of the recipes I featured on this blog can be found in Crosby's The BBQ Book.



9 comments:

Unknown said...

That chai looks amazing! I would never have thought to use molasses in chai. Neat.

Unknown said...

Fariha:
Me neither! A pleasant surprise! It was so good!

Alyssa said...

I am not a huge molasses fan but that actually looks pretty good! I always leave your blog feeling hungry Christine! :)

Unknown said...

Alyssa:
Aww! Thanks! You know, I didn't grow up eating molasses or having it in our recipes. Hubby did though. When I was a kid, I had friends who used to have toast with molasses on it! Totally foreign to me, but now that I've been trying out recipes with molasses in them, I really like it.

Nolie said...

I have got to try out that tea recipe. Sounds delish.

Unknown said...

Nolie:
Thanks! Let me know if you try it! I'd love to hear what you think!

Tasha said...

These recipes sound so yummy! I seriously want to try the Iced Chai Tea! YUM!

John said...

We enjoyed it very much. Definitely a keeper!

Positively Pampered Patty said...

I posted 2 comments. I can't see the other one. I love molasses. It's a great replacement for sugar in lots of recipes and as a clean eater it's so important. Definitely going to try the chai tea. :)

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails