Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Finally!!!


Embarrassingly, it has taken us forever to finish Little One's nursery. We found out I was pregnant last Spring and we started planning the baby's room then. The baby's room is now furnished with a beautiful crib I received at the baby shower (Mrs. Hollywood threw for me) that I wasn't able to attend because I was on hospital bed rest for my second trimester of the pregnancy. All of the ladies on my Mom's side of the family (aunts, cousins, cousins' girlfriends, cousins' wives, etc) pitched in and got us a beautiful crib that turns into a toddler bed and then later on, a single bed. I'm a frugal practical gal and like the idea of Little One being able to use the crib as a toddler bed later on.

Anyway, Little One is now five months old and her room has just been completed. In our defense, she was born almost three months early, I was on hospital bed rest for weeeeeeeeks before she was born, our house was undergoing renovations and Little One and I spent two months in Toronto while she was in the NICU at Mount Sinai Hospital.

My good friend, Gadget Girl spent a week on the Island last summer and painted the nursery for me. She is so sweet! She didn't want me anywhere near paint fumes while pregnant, as I was thinking of painting the room myself!

The "Baby's First Farm Quilt" was a present from some of my aunts. I also have two Melanie Bailey originals (a bunny from my SIL, Lele and a cow that I purchased even before I got pregnant) to mount on the wall. Why all the farm animals? Well, Little One's Daddy is a farmer and we do live on a farm.

There's built-in storage in Little One's room, which I'm not a fan of. Oh, well. I guess I just have to make the best of it. It's not the most attractive, but it's functional.The cute Mod Doggy (in the photo below) is from Ms.Mamma and Snowflake. For some reason, Hubby keeps thinking it's a horse! This is the actual shade of yellow on the walls (below photo). The above photos were taken when the sun was setting. Et voila! The carpet has been torn out and Hubby and my Dad have finished putting in the new floor. I like that there's a trundle drawer underneath so I can store Little One's blankets and quilts in there.
Little One seems pleased with her new room! :)Here's a peek inside the little house my SIL from Barrie got for Little One.
Speaking of my SIL, here's a funny story. My SIL and Hubby were moving out some of her furniture that was being stored in our house. Now that Little One is here, we need to make room for all her "stuff". I was nursing the baby in the living room when I heard my SIL and Hubby roaring with laughter. I seriously thought they were going to hurt themselves from laughing so hard!

This is why they were laughing.

It appears that our most recent ESL student had left behind some Korean medicine for the next students to come. My SIL found a whole whack of medicine in the guest room chest of drawers (which she was taking back to Barrie with her). She couldn't read the Korean writing, but flipped the boxes over and was surprised to see that my student had thoughtfully written the English translations on the boxes.

SENSELAC...for "having hard time on toilet".

ANTI-PAIN...You know, to avoid pain.


BUMOOLY...for "After bites". Note the hornet circled on the left? I really wish North American medicine was this entertaining. The Korean versions are so much fun.


DIAROPEN...for "DIARIA". It's the "Anti-diarrhea therapy".


Finally, my SIL's fave: HEADECA...for "once a woman month".
Funny, since the student who left these behind is MALE! What he's doing with "Once a Woman Month" medicine is beyond my comprehension! :) I'm thinking this is sort of like Advil and is meant for aches and pains too. Too funny! Gotta love the Engrish translations! :)

30 comments:

t said...

Lookin good Chris! The baby's room looks great - I love the farm theme for the little farm girl. HA! Still cannot believe you now live on a farm!

The Engrish was really funny too! Keep the great posts coming . I got your thank you card in the mail -glad you like the outfits i sent over for the baby. She's totally rockin' the pink outifuts ! baby girls are sweet!

Uncivil said...

I love the built in storage. I would so do that if I was ever lucky enough to custom build my next house.
That "once a woman month" was funny.
I was thinking what would he call mouthwash? "For doggie breath" maybe?

hotmommy said...

bwahahahahahhaha~ once a woman month! i love that!

ps- the nursery room looks great chrissy! i love the giant cow

J said...

Those are hilarious, and I'm with Jimmy, I love the built in storage. What a blessing. I'm guessing that crib will last her until she goes to college. What a wonderful gift.

humpsNbump said...

That giant cow is the best. What a beautiful nursery for the Little One. Too cute!!

~ humps

Unknown said...

T:
Thanks! Oh, and yes...LO does look cute in pink! Funny, since I'm not a fan of pink and EVERYTHING she has is pink! I have to admit, pink is kinda growing on me! :)

Word ver: diumpole

Unknown said...

Jimmy:
You like the built in storage? Hubby really likes it and thinks it's convenient. I wasn't too keen on it though. I also wanted everything in her room to match. Anyway...guess I can't always have things the way I want! ;p

LOL @ "For doggie breath"! Too funny! How about "For mouth that smells bad" or "For washing smell bad mouth"? :) LOL!

Unknown said...

Hot Mommy:
LOL! Yes, my SIL loves the "for once a woman month" one the best! She was laughing so hard. I love my students. They are so cute and so creative. I know when I was teaching in Japan and learning the language there, I came up with some pretty funny sentences and expressions. My Japanese students thought I was insane! I spoke "broken Japanese" or Japlish!

Unknown said...

Oops. I think they called it "Janglish".

Unknown said...

J:
Really? You like the built in storage? Do you think I should leave it in natural wood or should I paint it? If I paint it, what colour should I paint it? Yellow to match the rest of the room or add some different accents? Decisions, decisions!

Unknown said...

P.S. J, if you lived closer, I'd invite you over and pick your brain about the nursery design...and then we'd have to break for a yummy lunch or something. Why do I feel like having melted Brie on crackers now? LOL!

Unknown said...

Humps:
That is sooooooooooo weird!!! I was JUST going to text or call you today to see how you were doing! I had a dream that you had the baby already! How are you??

louann said...

Chrissy, the nursery looks absolutely beautiful!!!!

And about those medicines... LOL!!!! Thanks for the laugh! Haha!

caninecologne said...

fkg hilarious! once a woman month!diaropen!!!! you can't make that up!! ha ha!


the baby's room looks so cute! what a lucky girl!

don't forget to blast the metallica lullabies!

word ver:

nonic

Momisodes said...

Oh my goodness! These med translations on the boxes have me in stitches here :) So good of them to label them so clearly ;)

Little One's nursery looks gorgeous! Really. It looks like a photo from a baby magazine. I just love her crib, sheets, and decor. She looks darling all snuggled in her crib :)

Loukia said...

Beautiful nursery, beautiful baby!:)

Unknown said...

Louann:
Thank you :) Yes, the medicine just cracks me up! It's the translations that really make me laugh so hard that I cry though!

Word ver: palies

Unknown said...

Canine:
LOL! I know! Diaropen had me laughing too! Thank goodness my student wrote the translations on the boxes! Actually, I wouldn't ever take anything I couldn't read though! Too funny!

I'm just thinking (errm...make that DREAMING!) of your CHOCOCAT cupcakes!!!

Unknown said...

P.S. Yeah, LO loves the Metallica lullabies CD you sent her! My friend mentioned that her infant son loves Radiohead lullabies!

labellefunk said...

Hehehehehe! Thank you for posting this...it gave me some time to giggle to myself while I took a mini-break from studying!

Sreisaat said...

It looks great, C!
You can really see the love and effort put in by everyone :)

Deb said...

first, love the crib/future bed! that is so smart and adorable all at the same time!

love the dog/horse.

and the meds are hilarious! thanks for my morning laugh.

Ms. Mamma said...

very sweet! the room is very cute and the babe, well, she's just perfectly adorable!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting those medicine pics...they were so funny!!

Cindy (I'm a friend of Rosanne and Jamie's BTW, and found your blog from her site)

Unknown said...

i love engrish! ha ha!

glad little likes is getting trained to like thrash metal. :)

i was actually debating to get that or ac/dc, but it seemed cooler to get metallica! have you seen that rockabye baby series? they even have no doubt, pink floyd, led zeppelin, tool (!!!), Nine Inch Nails (by the way, their new drummer is a former student, he's only 20), and more!

i'm planning to order more cupcakes for another ocassion (just to have one) from jenny. she's awesome. the cupcakes not only look good, but they taste good too.

word ver"
unantsum

Unknown said...

Samantha:
:) Giggle breaks between studying = a good thing! Glad you thought they were funny!

I love Engrish!!

Unknown said...

Sreisaat:
Thank you! Well, today Little One's room does NOT look like it does in the photos! Hubby and I have all our stuff squeezed into all that built-in storage space and I am in the midst of sorting all the "keep", "give away/donate", and "sell" piles! Half of her room is filled with OUR stuff. Gah! I don't know how we ended up with so much "stuff", and with the baby here, we have even more "stuff"! How does a person that little acquire so many things!?! She's only five months old!

Unknown said...

Deb:
Thank you! :) Hey! I was thinking about you. It's been a while! How are you!?!?!

Unknown said...

Ms.Mamma:
Thank you! The dog you gave LO fits in perfectly. Wish you lived closer. I'd have commissioned you to paint a mural on LO's wall. I just love your art work!!

Justafitgirl said...

Cute Nursery! It looks like it was well worth the wait.

From Our Farm to Your Table

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails