Sunday, February 25, 2007

Winter Fun Day


Today, our township held its Winter Fun Day. The day started off with a pancake breakfast (really affordable at $5/person & young children free) and activities followed. There were lots of outdoor activities, such as:
* tug of war (the men's team hubby was on won and the women's team I was on won)
* blind ATV obstacle course races (hubby and our student didn't fare well. Hubby was blindfolded and our student was giving the directions. LOL!)
*slow pitch baseball- kids vs. the firefighters and first response team
*log sawing competition
*nail driving competition
*GT Racing/tea boiling competition -my 11 yr old niece conned me into being her partner. There were 10 teams and I had to pull her on the GT racer, then turn around at the end of the course, and she had to pull me (good lord!) and then we had to start a fire with sticks and boil snow to make a cup of tea. Our darn matches wouldn't strike!! I think we came in third last. LOL!

The day's festivities ended with a silent auction (great prizes!) and a chili or stew supper, rolls, veggies, drinks and dessert evening at the hall. It was a really nice way of fostering communtiy spirit, and getting families out there, active and spending time with each other. I love this kind of stuff. Hubby and I think it's important to be involved in the community and we both think it's so important to do outdoorsy activities with the kids. Now, if you excuse me, I think I'm going to head to bed early tonight! LOL!
Photos:
1) The GT race/tea boiling contest. I was wearing my big winter coat, a turtleneck and two heavy sweaters and I was still cold...while the kids didn't even seem to notice the cold at all! I must be getting old! LOL!

2) Can you tell my little niece and I were having a difficult time starting our fire? LOL! Our matches broke and each team was only given two matches!

3) Hubby in bunker gear. The firefighters had to play in their gear and only use one hand to bat so the kids could have an advantage :)

4) Our youngest niece batting. The kids always seem to beat the firefighters ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outdoor activities, fresh air...fun! That would definitely tire me out and would make me want to go to sleep early too! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sentimental! It was definitely a lot of fun. Boy, was I pooped at the end of the day though! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Chris, its so nice that you guys take part in all these community events. You and J are going to be such great parents.

Anonymous said...

Oh Christine! That looks like a really sad fire! Did you and E end up getting it started? LOL You're too cute!

Unknown said...

Hi AHMM and T! Yes, it was a good time had by all. My gluteus maximus hurts! LOL! My little niece and I are going to have to train for next year! LOL!

Sentimental: It's 0.0 degrees today! Which means it's warm! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Christine, that's COLD! It's 10:31 PM right now where we are and it is currently 79 degrees F. Our forecast for tomorrow is between 70-81 degrees F and lots of sunshine. In your scale that would be between 21-27 degrees C.

Cuddle up and keep warm! :)

Unknown said...

Sentimental: 21-27 Celcius??? That's SUMMER temperature!!! LOL! WOW! Okay, I'm jealous :) I keep telling myself I don't mind the winter!!! Think positively...think positively.... I complain (I really try not to though) that it's cold in the winter, but by the time summer comes and it's sweltering hot, I complain that it's too hot! LOL! In some ways, I think I would rather be cooler, because if it's cold, at least you can put layers on. If it's sweltering hot, there's nothing much you can do, except crank up the AC and take off all your clothes! It's not an option here, because hubby and I aren't fans of AC and we have students living in our house...so we just have to suffer in the summer heat! LOL! *sigh*

So, how did you find this blog? You mentioned via a friend's blog. Do I know this friend? :)

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails