Sunday, January 06, 2008

Spring Cleaning in Winter


What am I doing on a fine Sunday afternoon? While the snow is melting into puddles of slush outside, I've gone on a mad cleaning rampage. Starting from our bedroom upstairs and working my way down, I'm trying to get rid of things we don't need! It is amazing to see how much a household can accumulate even when they don't shop much! Crazy!

We've got a very comfy couch and chair that we're giving away today. I am going to miss that couch, but it takes up so much room. We've already got a gorgeous living room set, and though the extra seating room is handy when we have parties, it does take up a lot of room. I am trying to do the minimalist thing here, and banish all clutter! Wish me luck!

We've got bags of old clothes to donate. We've got household items that can be donated for rummage sales and other charity events. Sometimes it seems really difficult to part with certain material belongings. There is the personal attachment, the nostalgia...but if you're never going to use these things, then why not give them to someone who can use and appreciate them?

These next two weeks are going to be extra busy (I'll fill you in on details shortly). I may not be posting much during this time, but will leave you with these thoughts for now:

1) Just a reminder: Don't forget to check out CK's and Fancy's new blog. It's one of my favourite new blogs. These cool gals really have a neat thing going on! They offer lots of stylish tips in being green. You can be green in the city without compromising your style. They offer very cool, informative, practical, and fun ideas to incorporate into your lifestyle!

2) Thank you to some very special blog buddies. You don't know how special you are to me. Ellie, thank you for the wonderful bath stuff you sent me! I tried one of the bath bombs you made. For the first time in ages, I was able to soak in a warm bath and just relax! Your little note touched my heart too. Thank you!
Ms.Mamma, thank you for your thoughtfulness! You are one amazing amiga! Hubby thoroughly enjoyed the special Christmas treats. I'm going to post something special about one of my new favourite items, which you have sent me! Oh, how I love thee, my fair Neti! LOL!
Canine and Lotus, thanks for all the treats and CDs! You make me want to go all the way to California just to hang out with you, test out those fine eateries and spend the day in Zion, Marukai and Mitsuwa!!!

3)The kittens are going to the vet tomorrow to get spayed and neutered. The poor things! They'll thank me when they're older. Maybe. Though some may feel this is inhumane, we feel it helps reduce the problem of pet overpopulation. It breaks my heart when people let their pets reproduce and not take care of them. What makes me sad is to find animals in a cardboard box left on the side of the road. Sometimes these kittens or pups find homes, sometimes they don't. Would you rather have stray animals wandering about? I don't even want to think about or hear about animals having to be euthanized. So sad :(

4) Do check out Palm Springs Savant's blog. This is yet another one of my new favourites! Rick Rockhill, we love you!!! LOL!

17 comments:

Rick Rockhill said...

C- You are SO SWEET! Thanks for this! I am so glad I "met" you in the blogosphere!

Cherry said...

Ohh.. did Ms. Mamma send you a Neti pot?

I've been spring cleaning as well. Funny how we have stuff we moved here with us 4 years ago and have yet to use a lot of it. Buh Bye! Go get used by someone who needs you!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I love your cats - we have had two ginger girls Anna (she died young) and Chloe (12 yrs before she was run over and died before our eyes).
I had them both desexed for same reason.
I agree with clutter- you will feel better too helping someone and making you our home neater.

Gledwood said...

Hi and thanks for the message... some other people from abroad said they thought they couldn't get MSG in their countries... here I literally got it from the shop practically at the end of my road..! (literally) you can get it nearly everywhere.

as lots of people said you DON'T really need it in good cooking. Certainly not in spicy food like curries etc. I think it does pep up fried rice though. Boiled it just tastes WEIRD in..!

Take it easy

:-]

Unknown said...

Urgh...Just couldn't stay away from the blog for too long! I was checking e-mail and decided to leave a message for those who commented! :)

Rick:
Awwww, shucks! You're the best!

Cherry:
:) A blog post on the Neti will come soon.
I'm with ya on the getting rid of things we don't use. I find that my environment/my house is a reflection of my state of mind. If it's cluttered and in disarray, I find that is how I feel inside at the time. I always feel really good when I've done a thorough cleaning. It's kind of like cleansing my state of mind too. Does that sound odd?

Unknown said...

Trish:
My parents have a cat named Chloe! Well, she's actually my younger brother's cat. Chloe is now 14 yrs old, I think. She was given to my brother after a botched haircut session. Long story short: My mom didn't allow animals in the house for the longest time, but when my youngest brother was 7, my mom was cutting his hair (actually shaving it with a razor) and she messed up and made him BALD!!! His head was shiny and all you could see was his scalp! He was in tears and didn't want to go to school because he was embarrassed and worried that the kids would call him a cancer patient. Poor kid was only 7 at the time. My mom caved in and got him a cat. I told Baby Bro, "Let Mom cut your hair again when you're 16! Maybe you'll get a car!" LOL! Now Baby Bro is in university and Chloe is living with my parents.

Gledwood:
Wow! I honestly didn't think they sold MSG in stores. I don't think I've ever seen any. Maybe because I just wasn't looking out for it.

I know that my Dad used it before. He said that you can find it in many products. Now many people here try to avoid it. My SIL reads every food label and makes sure it's not in the ingredients because she gets horribly debilitating migraines.

I have heard that it does pep up/enhance the taste of food, but I'm one of those paranoid types. LOL! I worry about excitatory neuro-transmitters and try not to consume anything with monosodium glutamate (MSG), aspartame, and L-cysteine.

I suppose this is one of the main reasons I try to avoid buying processed food in the supermarkets. Factory created flavor enhancers are in many bottled, bagged, frozen, or canned processed food on super market shelves. However, since MSG is often a component of a formulation, it is not labeled as such. It's often seen on ingredient labels as words like autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed protein, and whey protein.

I'm weird like that though. I worry about all the added preservatives found in most prepared food these days. My husband doesn't even like it when I buy bread from the grocery store because of all the extra stuff they add to the bread to make it stay fresh longer.

Unknown said...

This is in response to an e-mail T sent me last night about processed food. Thanks for the e-mail, T! You should seriously start a blog! :)

T, I do sometimes buy bread from the grocery store. I just don't have the time to make homemade bread all the time.

I do have some quick fixes in the house for those days when we're both too tired after work and I don't feel like cooking. Like other readers have said, it's good to have something to fall back on in case of emergency. Mostly, though, we try to eat fresh. Hubby prefers his veggies raw because he feels that we get more of the nutrients that way. I like cooking our veggies. We eat A LOT of veggies and mostly our own produce.

Anonymous said...

oh hell chrissy, we're all going to die anyway! {{{{{{{{{lol}}}}}}}}}}} might as well eat msg and other artificial preservative food because they taste soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! i'm telling you; homemade from the box baby! tell me you don't just love those swanson's tv dinners! tonight we're having salisbry steak, mashed potatos, corn and a chocolate brownie! my dh loves it, the kids love it, and i don't have to do any of the hard work to get a meal like that on the table . :0)

Don Mills Diva said...

I cried when I spayed my cat even though I know I HAD to - thanks so much for the nice compliemnts on my writing - you really made my day!

robkroese said...

Ok, but I'm still your favorite favorite, right? :)

PinksandBluesGirls said...

Our house is in need of a good Spring Cleaning in Winter, too, I must say!! I think spaying and neutering pets is the OPPOSITE of inhumane! You are saving the lives of countless animals who would be mistreated - or worse- when you're a responsible pet owner like you are! When I see male animals with their you-know-whats in tact, I really wonder why. Do you guys have The Price Is Right up in Canada? The host, Bob Barker (who recently retired) always ended the show with, "Help control pet overpopulation! Don't forget to spay and neuter your pets!"

I loved your comment on my blog today... never apologize for a comment being too long! I love hearing your stories! :)

love ya,
Jane

louann said...

Cleaning?! Cleaning! Good for you. I don't enjoy cleaning hehe =)

Jeanna said...

My idea of cleaning is taking down a candy cane a day.

caninecologne said...

hi c
you're welcome. glad you liked the cd's! thank YOU for the treats you sent us!

re: MSG
I remember my mom had a BIIIG canister of that stuff in the cupboard. it was by the brand, Ajinomoto (which currently makes 1/3 of the world's MSG. she doesn't use it anymore. she put that in a lof of her dishes. hmmm. i never had any allergies that i can think of or any bad reactions; i think i came out all right! but i wouldn't use msg in my foods nowadays.

Unknown said...

Hot Mommy:
LOL! You're so funny! :) Do you know that Hubby has never had a TV dinner in his life???

Don Mills Diva:
I LOVE your blog!

Diesel:
Of course you're still my favourite favourite! ;)

Unknown said...

Jane:
I think I'm going to have to write a post entirely about serendipitous events!

Yes, I remember Bob Barker always telling the viewers to get their pets spayed and neutered! When I was a kid, I never knew what he meant! LOL! I thought he was saying something about spades (as in spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs) and neutrals (as in Switzerland)! I had no idea what cats and dogs had to do with those! LOL! I was really young, so...

Louann:
Oh, believe me...I don't really 'like' cleaning. However, might as well do it while I'm in the mood! LOL! I really hate doing laundry. Actually, I don't really mind laundry. It's the folding and putting everything away that I don't like.

Unknown said...

Jeanna:
Oh! I'm totally with ya, sista! My method of tidying up sometimes seems more like "displacement". You know, when you just move things around...into different piles so it 'looks' tidier! LOL! Seriously, I've been actually Spring cleaning over the weekend. I was just in the mood to give the whole house a good once over...or two!

Canine:
Funny you mentioned that! I was talking to my mom about MSG tonight and she said that when she was a kid, they grew up putting MSG in all their food. It's a flavour enhancer and they used it like salt! She even told me that she used to use it in our food too!

Oh, and as I was enjoying some wonderful roasted seaweed with sesame seeds and sesame oil, Hubby ruined things for me by reading the package. One of the first ingredients was MSG! *sigh*

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails