Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Throwback Thursday #22...and an Award!!!




It's been a while since I've posted a Throwback Thursday post. First off, I do realize that it's Wednesday today and not Thursday. I'm a day early, but don't know if I'll have time to post tomorrow. I've got a few reasons excuses for not keeping up with this wonderful Pinks & Blues tradition. A) I haven't had time to look for old photos I've sort of been lazy about getting photos together, and B) Our scanner wasn't in operation for a while and Hubby just bought me a nifty 5-in-1 scanner/photocopier/fax thingy. Very cool!

I've only just figured out how to program and install everything. Duh...How come no one told me I had to insert the CD that came with the unit so I can install everything? Anyway, I figured it out all by myself and voila! I just went scanning crazy!

These photos are of my time in Japan. There will be more Japan pics to come, as I had many wonderful memories teaching there.

The first two sets are of me with some of my English teacher friends at Oshogatsu (Japanese New Year). We're wearing kimono and eating osechi (traditional Japanese New Year food). If you click on the photos, the images will be enlarged.



Let me tell you, I thought I was going to pass out wearing that kimono! They wrap you up and tie you up so tightly! It's not the most comfortable thing to wear, but kimonos sure are beautiful.


The last set of photos is from when my Mom and BabyBro (then 14 years old) came to visit me in Japan for three weeks. My Japanese friends took us to Miyajima, which is a famous island in Hiroshima Prefecture. It is known for its beautiful shrine and wooden gate. Deer and monkeys can be seen on the island. It's such a beautiful, magical, spiritual place. This said, it's also a major tourist attraction! If you get the chance to visit Japan, do make a stop in Miyajima.

Now for a new award! I was surprised to see a message from the lovely Mrinz saying that she's given me an award! Thank you ever so much :)

There are so many blogs that I visit on a regular basis. I have so many favourites! I can't choose just a few, so to those of you whose blogs I leave comments on daily, consider this your notification that you have received an award! :) You guys are great!


14 comments:

robkroese said...

Cool!

Curiosity Killer said...

Oh I LOVE kimonos!!! You'll have to email me and tell how you got one of those complicated ensembles on!!

Unknown said...

Diesel:
Helloooo! How's the hobbit trapping going?

CK:
A Japanese student/friend got me the kimono as a going away present. I just about fell over when I discovered how much kimonos cost!!! Anyway, she wanted all of her "foreign teacher" friends to wear kimono for New Year's and she organized a party and had two little old kimono ladies come in and help us dress! It would be very difficult to do it yourself...at least do it properly yourself! All the pulling, tugging, tucking. tying...LOL! It was sort of like wearing a corset all day. The end result was gorgeous though. Kimonos are so pretty! They are works of art.

Don Mills Diva said...

Congrats on the award!

Anonymous said...

I have been to Miyajima several times. Great place! Did you try Taiyaki when you were there? Brilliant stuff that is!

-Pete

Uncivil said...

I had no idea kimonos were uncomfortable? It looks like it might help hold my gut in after a hardy meal?
Congrats on the award!

PinksandBluesGirls said...

What BEAUTIFUL kimonos! I love learning about different cultures. What an amazing experience that must have been for you, being able to LIVE in another country!

Jane, Pinks & Blues

Anonymous said...

I still have the pretty paper geisha you got me from there!

Jeanna said...

Nice photo and ta, you're a sweetie.

Karen MEG said...

Kimonos are beautiful, really, like works of art. How nice that your family could visit you while you were in Japan, esp baby bro! That must have been such a wonderful experience!
Thanks for the award too, I'm addicted to here as well LOL!

MomOf4 said...

Such very pretty pictures! I love the kimonos. Happy TT!

Unknown said...

DMD:
Thanks! You're one of my daily doses! :)

Pete:
I LOVE taiyaki! Totemo samishiiiiiii!!! I would love to have some taiyaki right now!

Unknown said...

Uncivil:
Ooooh! Lemme tell ya, it was HARD to walk in that kimono! Kneeling down on the floor to ear our meal was even harder! LOL!

Jane:
Thank you! :)

T:
You still have it??? WOW! That was AGES ago! :) xo

Unknown said...

Jeanna:
;) Thanks!

Karen:
Love you and your blog!

MomOf3:
Thanks! Happy TT to you too! :)

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails