Friday, October 05, 2007

'Tis the Season...


To all my Canadian friends out there, have a Happy Thanksgiving weekend!!!

This will be my first time hosting Thanksgiving dinner on my own. Usually, we go over to my mom's, Hubby's mom's, one of my aunts' houses or Hubby's sister's. This year, since I've got a lot of visitors and students, I'll be hosting Thanksgiving. Phew! I knew it was a lot of work since I've always helped out in the preparations, but I didn't know hosting the dinner would be such a huge undertaking! I'm excited and hope all turns out well!

On the menu:

*Turkey (of course!) with stuffing on the side and homemade cranberry sauce
* Sweet potato casserole
* Zucchini pie
* Cucumber salad
* Ham (my mom's making this dish--especially for my husband. He likes it with pineapple and maraschino cherries)
*Fruit salad (my mom's making this too)
*Cherry pie raspberry pie
*Pumpkin pie (if I get ambitious) My friend, Kathy was so kind and offered to bake a butterscotch apple pie!
*(recently added to the menu) spinach salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette dressing
*(also just added to the list) hot potato salad

Well, I guess I'd better stop blogging and start preparing for Thanksgiving supper for tomorrow! Friends from out of town will be arriving in a few hours! Have a great weekend, everyone!


SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
Combine and place into greased casserole dish:
8 baked sweet potatoes

1 c. + 2 tbsp. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. butter, cut into pieces
Sprinkle with topping (below) and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
TOPPING:
1 c. brown sugar (I omit this because the sweet potato is sweet enough)

1 c. pecans, chopped (I omit the nuts and cornflakes though...and I just sprinkle on a bit of brown sugar)
2/3 c. crushed cornflakes
Serve.


ZUCCHINI PIE
INGREDIENTS
3 cups zucchini, sliced thinly and quartered
1 onion, chopped
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk baking mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram (I use oregano)

parsley
ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10x6 inch pan or a 12 inch pie plate.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine zucchini, onion, eggs, buttermilk baking mix, vegetable oil, Parmesan cheese, marjoram, parsley and pepper; mix well. Spread into the prepared baking dish.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly brown.


This zucchini pie recipe is deeeeeeeeeelish and so easy to make. It is a great dish for any vegetarian guests you might have at your home for Thanksgiving dinner.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, can we come over for Thanksgiving too? :0)

Have a good one Chris!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Chris! We're off to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. I would never dream of hosting it at our house! How's John enjoy having loads of people over? Have a great weekend and talk soon.

Christy said...

Stumbled across your blog, your menu looks wonderful. Good luck hosting dinner, we are doing Christmas this year for the first time!

BusyMamma said...

everything sounds totally yummo!!! I'm going to try amd make that zucchini pie-it sounds delish!!
Have a GREAT WEEKEND and you'll do awesome in the kitchen!!!

Uncivil said...

Wow, you guys have Thanksgiving in October, and we have it in November?
I love SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE!!!!

Anonymous said...

happy thanksgiving chris

Anonymous said...

Isn't Thanksgiving in November? In any case, Happy Turkey Day, as the Cannucks over here say.

-Pete

merinz said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you both. What a fun time you will have with all your friends and family around.

~M~ said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I will definately have to try that zucchini pie...that sounds awesome. I'll have to eat it all myself though, b/c El Guapo despises zucchini or anything squash. He'll just have to loose out. Hope you had a great weekend.

merinz said...

Just a couple of questions - what is buttermilk baking mix?

In the Sweet potato casserole, are the potatoes prebaked?

Also 1 cup of sugar seems a lot, especially with another cup of sugar as topping?

Both recipes look delicious, I am keen to try them.
We use sweet potatoes a lot here, they are known as Kumera. We can get orange and gold as well as the purple ones.

Unknown said...

Hi everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!

mrinz:
I actually don't use all the sugar that's in the recipe. I also find it to be a bit much. I just use a sprinkling of it over top. I also don't put sugar in the dish itself (not just the topping) because I find the sweet potato sweet enough.

Buttermilk mix...it's a type of pancake mixture that contains buttermilk. You don't need to use this though. It can be any pancake blend that you like. By scratch is good, but if you're too busy, some people buy the Bisquick brand. I don't know if you have that in NZ.

Unknown said...

t:
Hehe! Sure! The more the merrier! xo

hotmommy:
Oh, Hubby is enjoying having heaps of people over! We've got a full house this week. We've got 7 people in the house right now. I think we need another washroom or two! LOL!

Unknown said...

Christy:
So glad you found my blog and left a comment! I just popped by yours. LOVE the kitchen! I'll be popping by again soon! :)

Dina:
Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving weekend too. Try out the zucchini pie recipe. It's my aunt Jo's recipe and it's super yummy! :)
Oh! I'll be in TO on the 11th-13th I think! Hope to see you guys when I'm there!

Unknown said...

Uncivil:
Yes, we have our Thanksgiving a month before you guys do. One year, I spent Canadian Thanksgiving with my family, then flew to Philadelphia to spend American Thanksgiving with my friends there. It was CRAZY!! Soooooo much food! I felt like Homer Simpson! "DOH! Must...eat...ugh!" LOL!

Anon:
Thanks! To you too!

Pete:
Our Thanksgiving is in Oct.
How's life in Japan? Still lovin' it? You've been there FOREVER!

Anonymous said...

for some reason i can't ever picture you using bisquick! youre little miss make everything from scratch! :0) oh amd pardon the lack of caps and punctuation. i'm feeling rather lazy right now and was just reading your blog before heading to bed- must be all that turky! thank goodness thanksgiving only comes once a year.argh and then there's christmas! atleast we have a couple of months rest! hahahah

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails