Friday, June 27, 2008

Because he loves me...


For as long as I can remember, Dad has never been one to show his emotions freely or to give excessive praise to his kids. He was from the school of hard knocks. His work ethic is beyond compare. Growing up, he drilled into our brains that school and education were the most important gifts he and my Mom could ever give us.

We were spoiled, but not materially. Dad wouldn't go out and buy us whatever we wanted whenever we wanted it. We had to earn things. I remember being 8 or 9 years old and really wanting a Cabbage Patch Kid. Well, in order for me to get a Cabbage Patch Kid, I had to get straight A's on my report card! I did get straight A's and I did get my Cabbage Patch Kid. At first, it seemed so cruel to have to work so hard for something that all my friends were getting without having to "earn". I was a bit upset, but I did learn the value of hard work and the prize was much sweeter in the end.

While Mom has always shown her love for us kids freely and openly, Dad was always more reserved. I do remember lots of tender moments like Dad bringing us trinkets from his business trips to Prague, Argentina, Hong Kong, etc. There was also the time I fell asleep on the couch at my folks' place and Dad put a blanket over me and gave me a good night hug.

Oh, and how could I forget the one Christmas when Dad gave me a compass as a Christmas gift because I was always getting lost (yes, I am still really bad with directions)! Dad is just really thoughtful and when he gives gifts they are always special...like the two pergolas he just finished building me yesterday.
The finished project (now we just have to put the plants in)
Dad enlisted the help of my uncle, my cousin and Hubby for some of the assembly.

6 comments:

Jeanna said...

You no doubt have a very special family. Hugs to dad. Mine is pretty special too. Keep us posted when you put plants in; that's a great job he did.
I wanted a Chatty Cathy doll as a kid, and by the time I got it was one bitter five-year-old.

Anonymous said...

love the garden and its going to look great when its completed. i cannot wait to see pix! seriously can you send your dad over to our place and ask him to build me one to?

Uncivil said...

Wow C!............Your dad is quite the carpenter!

Unknown said...

Jeanna:
Awww! Thanks! I think my family is pretty special :) Dad has started putting in a few Hostas plants, a climbing hydrangea, two Clamatis (sp?) plants, some Hollyhocks, some morning glory, and a few others that I can't remember.

Unknown said...

Hot Mommy:
Tee hee! You know, quite a few people have asked that question. I told my Dad that he's in trouble now. Now everyone wants a pergola! LOL!

Unknown said...

Jimbo:
Well, he wasn't always like that. Since his heart attack and stroke, he's had to find a few hobbies. I think he's quite good at making things like those pergolas :)

From Our Farm to Your Table

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails