Sunday, December 31, 2006

out with the old...in with the new


Parting is such sweet sorrow. I always feel a little blue this time of the year. Not down in the dumps or depressed...more like wistful and nostalgic. For some reason, I'm the type of person who likes to cling onto the past and try to soak everything in so that it's etched forever in my memory. It's weird because I also feel excited about what the new year will bring. I guess deep down I'm too much of a sentimental.

With new beginnings and the end of things that are old, we are also parting with a kitchen piece that's been in Hubby's house since he bought the house almost a decade ago. The former owners used a Findlay wood cook stove to heat the house and cook their meals. I was surprised, as it seemed to me so "Little House on the Prairie"! That's how they did things back then though. The stove is so cool. It's an antique now and it's really beautiful. Though we have a stove/oven and our house isn't heated by the cookstove anymore, I still like having it around. I like the "look" of it. I also love the idea of something so old being in our house. I think of all the stories this stove has heard from the people using it. I think of the meals it's helped prepare for the family who lived here way back then. I think of the gatherings in the kitchen, the warmth it gave...and basically the connection it has with the past.




Since we don't use the stove and it's only in the kitchen taking up room (I think it's there for aesthetic purposes), Hubby's had a few offers from individuals wanting to buy it. Stoves like that are worth quite a bit of money and this one is in excellent working condition. I guess I ought to be less materialistic and let go of the stove since people actually want to buy it.

Right now it serves as extra counter space and storage space for all my kitchen stuff. Here's a photo of our Findlay cook stove and a pic of my preserves!!! My friends from the city will never believe all the baking, preserving, and canning I'm learning how to do! LOL (Sorry about the poor quality photos. They were taken with my cell phone camera)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

ROAR! Did you notice the tin of Watkins' black pepper on the stove? LOL!

Anonymous said...

Chris, did you just put a wooden counter top over the burners? It makes a neat and unique working surface. I know what you mean about letting go of old things! I love antiques. I noticed John's got a nice chest of drawers that looks to be over 100 yrs old. That's worth a lot of money too. We have furniture from DH's family that's worth a bit too. Not a lot of people our age really care for antiques though. At least it doesn't seem so. Everyone likes new modern stuff. I hated the stuff my parents had in the 70s and 80s though! But the antique stuff from generations and generations ago are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to wish you and John and happy new year. I hope you get all you wish for and that 2007 is a great one for the two of you and your families.

Anonymous said...

Out with the old, yes. In with the new is always good! Happy new year to you, kindred gaijin in Nippon!

Anonymous said...

wuts a gaijin? it sounds like some kind of disease!

Anonymous said...

Gaijin refers to 'foreigners' in other words non-Japanese. All of us teachers (from the UK, America, Canada, Europe, and elsewhere) and people living and workign in Japan but who are not Japanese are called gaijin. Hope that answers your question T. Which disease did you think it was? Gangrene?

Unknown said...

LOL! Gangrene! When I taught in Japan, one of my best friends back in Canada and I would always write letters to each other. She also said that "gaijin" sounded like "gangrene"!! LOL! She also thought the place I taught in sounded like "FUK U MAMA" (sorry for the rudeness)! It was actually called "Fukuyama", which means "Lucky mountain" in Japanese.

Ms. Mamma said...

Well Chrissy- You COULD always start a blog based on using THAT beautiful stove and creating amazing food. It would sort of be like that chick who started blogging about cooking Julia Child's french recipes...one each day. There is a book now called "Julie & Julia"...

Maybe you would get a book deal!

Unknown said...

Neat idea, Ms. M! Never thought of that. The idea of selling the old stove breaks my heart, but we don't even use it. I like the "Little House on the Prairie" feel of older things. Am I materialistic if I don't want to part with things like furniture and appliances? LOL

I'm going to check out the Julie&Julia book!

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails