Wednesday, November 14, 2007

OH, FUDGE!!!!


I'm not really a dessert or sweets person, but I do enjoy cooking, baking, and experimenting with new recipes. I just love creating things. There's a certain sense of accomplishment when one is able to take on a challenge and create something of their very own. This is one of the reasons I enjoy cooking for loved ones. I also really, really enjoy feeding people...especially those who are way skinnier than I am!

On special occasions, I like to make my famous cheesecakes. There's nothing that makes me feel better than watching people savour every last morsel of my rich and decadent concoctions. I know, I am horrible.

With the holidays fast approaching, I have been experimenting with new recipes. I'm ready for tons of baking next month! Aside from the holiday cookies, I want to try a few new things. Since I'm in the country now, and fudge seems to be popular here, I have decided to try my hand at making it.

Heck, I will never eat the stuff. Just thinking of fudge gives me a toothache! Some people really
like it, so I'm going to try to make it. A few days ago, my student and I conducted some kitchen experiments and this is what we got: Ooey, gooey, rich, decadent, totally saccharine globs of heart attack in a pan. I was really disappointed and realized that making fudge is truly an art. Our first attempt left a lot to be desired. The fudge really wasn't solid at all. It was very soft, even after hours of being chilled and left to set.

I couldn't believe it! The recipe said it was a "Never Fail Fudge" recipe and I failed! If you are wondering why it looks so weird, everyone had to spoon the fudge out of the pan because it was too soft to cut. *sigh*

Perhaps it's a sign and someone is telling me not to feed my loved ones sugar-laden desserts.

Oh, and if you didn't think I was wacky already, here's a photo my student took of me the other night. I could lie and tell you that I was using the kittens for warmth because we live in the North and it is really cold here. Truth be told, it's not even cold yet and my student caught me off guard as I was walking around the house with the kittens in my sweater. Hey! I just wanted to see what it felt like to carry a baby bump! I was also curious to see how I might look pregnant.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Your post gave me a good chuckle! You are certainly a mad one sometimes! :0)

-Pete

Uncivil said...

A "Baby Bump"? You can come up with the best descriptions!

Anonymous said...

MMMmmmmmmmmmmMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cheesecake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cherry said...

Looks like a lovely ice cream topping though!!!

I'm glad your student got that shot of you. I think its cute and you can compare it to when you have a real baby bump! ;-)

Ms. Mamma said...

Your baby bump is adorable! Next time use that half assed fudge for brownie frosting and you'll have an instant PMS cure.

Heidi said...

Ok. Those kittens now officially regard you as their mothers.

And I agree with Ms.Mamma -- can you imagine those gooey chocolate explosive cream on a cake? I believe that is the recipe for "No Fail Chocolate Orgasmic" cake.

AnnieM said...

I love giving away stuff I bake too. It makes baking so rewarding, especially if you hear moans while they are devouring it! Love it!

Adorable baby bump!

Mmmm, I love fudge and I would've had no problem eating that fudge with a spoon. It's less messy that way anyway.

Unknown said...

Pete:
Yes, a bit "mad" at times! ;)

Uncivil:
Tee hee! Oh, thanks for the little shout out! Those pics turned our really nicely!

T:
LOL! Cheesecake!

Unknown said...

Cherry:
That is an excellent idea! Fudge ice cream topping! I never even thought of that! You guys are so great at turning a failed recipe into something positive! :)

Ms.Mamma:
Ohhhhhhh! I like the idea of chocolate brownies with chocolate fudge icing! LOL! That spells "I hope whoever eats it isn't diabetic"! That sounds so good, but a diabetic's nightmare! :) Instant PMS cure, that's for sure!

Unknown said...

CK:
The kittens have grown sooooooooo much since you were here in the summer! They're HUGE! Well, the boy is huge. The girl is still tiny.

Annie:
Do you guys get a lot of fudge in Wisconsin? Do you make your own? I am looking for a "No fail" fudge recipe that really is "no fail"! LOL!

J said...

My favorite fudge recipe is the one on the Nestle morsels bag...you can find it here:
http://www.backofthebox.com/recipes/candies/carnation-famous-fudge.html

Unknown said...

J:
Thanks so much for that recipe! I'm going to give it a try. All you family and friends who are reading this, guess what you're getting for Christmas? LOL! That's right. A lump of coal...or a glob of brown sugar (ahem...I mean fudge)!

I was looking at the photo of my fudge smoosh, and all of a sudden my teeth hurt!

Karen MEG said...

Oooey,gooey good! I bet it tasted amazing, even if it looked a little soft.
I like that kitty bump too? You're too cute, C!

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails