Sunday, May 25, 2008

Around Here...


I've always been called a "bleeding heart". Ever since I was a little girl I was dubbed a "bleeding heart". Some have said in the past that I am "overly sympathetic to the plight of others" and when discussing topics like Darfur, Tibet, Burma, or China, I get the "who cares if people in other countries are suffering? People should just take care of themselves." If being a bleeding heart is a bad thing, then I guess it's something I'm going to have to deal with. That's just who I am. I'll do what I can to help out others who are in need and who are not as able as most to help themselves.

These bleeding hearts in the photo are located in front of our house next to the tulips. They're very special to Hubby, as his family used to have bleeding hearts when they lived down south (before they moved to the Island).
Around here, I've been known to come up with some pretty wacky recipes. This particular one is a spin-off of my aunt's zucchini pie. We just love her zucchini pie! Instead of zucchini, I used mushrooms this time. It was quite tasty with the mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, oregano, and basil. We had this savoury dish alongside our three bean salad (chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans, cucumber, tomato, corn, red onion), which was layered on top of a bed of romaine lettuce with just a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette.
Around here, the barn kittens have started to become very mobile! They are now a month old and Fred (AKA: Mama Cat) is giving them some crucial lessons in survival!

Here's our little six-toed friend. He's just darling. I would love to make him into a house cat, but I think my husband would protest. We've already got two house cats! I was giggling at the thought of making all our barn cats into house cats. Wouldn't Hubby just love that? Yeah, I know. We do need cats in the barn for pest control. Can't blame a girl for trying though!
Around here, my lovable pooch, Chance leaves his toys scattered all over the lawn. I found his ducky while coming back from the garden. Poor Ducky is missing a foot and his beak is tattered. Despite all the abuse Ducky has endured (being dragged through the mud, being left in the field, being rained on, and being buried in the snow until Spring!), Ducky still quacks when Chance tosses him in the air...and when Hubby accidentally runs over him with his truck.
Here's Chance's buddy. Chance sleeps with his buddy and treats it like a baby. It's too funny to watch. Around here, Hubby thinks I'm a bit nuts for pampering our animals the way I do! ;)

14 comments:

Nabeel said...

awwww @ kitten. It looks sooo cute and innocent. hope you take care of it. Did you name it already?

Sharon - Mom Generations said...

Your photographs made my day! They are so expressive and so beautiful...

I love bleeding hearts too, and that's probably why I love you so much!

xo- Sharon

Anonymous said...

awww the kittens are so cute chris! yes you are a bleeding heart but that;s not a bad thing. the world needs a lot more people like you

J said...

My husband is horridly allergic to cats...I never thought of getting a barn to keep them in! Good idea!

I'm a bleeding heart, too. And I LOVE fuscia, though I can't keep it alive.

Anonymous said...

I can't beleive how much Chance has grown! Great pictures of life on the farm Chris!

Unknown said...

Nabeel:
:) The kitten is cute, isn't he? I just love watching the kittens interact with their mom. It's so funny to watch them run all over the place while their mom is trying to teach them how to lay low in the tall grass or avoid the dog. She's even taught them how to hiss when people get too close! LOL! It's really funny to see these adorable little fuzz balls and then when you get too close, they hiss and spit at you!

I haven't figured out a name for that particular kitten, but one of his litter mates has been named "Hissy" and another one has been named "Mittens". I'll have to see what his personality and character tell me before I name him :)

Unknown said...

Sharon:
Thank you so much! Your comment made my day :) xoxo

hot mommy:
Thank you :) That was so sweet!

Unknown said...

J:
Oh, poor Py! Allergies are no fun. A lot of our friends are allergic to cat & dog dander. Some of them are just "allergic" to cats (meaning that they just don't like them at all)! LOL!

When I was a kid, living in the city I had soooooo many allergies. My doctor told my parents that I was never to have any cats or dogs. I was also allergic to dust, mold, cigarette smoke and my asthma inhaler! Now, I live in the country and I've got cats, cats, cats, a dog and I seem to be healthier here than when I lived in the city. Isn't that odd???

Even though I was always allergic to cigarette smoke and had to get an inhaler, my parents remained chain smokers. They've tried the patch, hypnosis, cold turkey, the gum, and a bunch of other things, but could not shake the habit. Even with Dad having had a heart attack and stroke, they're both still smoking. I guess since I'm not a smoker, I don't understand how strong the addiction to nicotine really is.

T:
Yes, he's grown A LOT! Remember when I first got him? He was so tiny that he could fit in the palm of my hand! He weighed 4 lbs when I brought him home. Now he's almost 60 lbs!!! Big boy!

Ms. Mamma said...

I adore the six toed kitty! Needs to definitely be THE housecat of choice. Totally darling, just like your new layout! XO

Tracy said...

The barn kittens are adorable!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love bleeding hearts!

Uncivil said...

I like Bleedin'Heart's...especially when they don't vote!!!!!LOL!!!!
Couldn't resist that one.
I love the way you spoil Chance. He looks so bright eyed and happy wiff buddy in his mouth. Great pics......kitties too!!!

Unknown said...

Ms.Mamma:
I totally agree with you! I just have to work on Hubby now! He keeps giving me these "looks" when he knows I'm going to ask him if we can have another house kitten! LOL! But, come one...SIX TOES?!?!?! You can't get any cooler than that!!! :)

Starshine:
They are very sweet. It's so much fun to watch them learn and play! LOL...Can you tell we haven't got any children of our own yet? Well, we've got fur babies, but no human babies yet! It's so sad...While friends whip out photos of their children, I bring out the pictures in my wallet of Chance and the rest of the fur crew! LOL!

Unknown said...

Christine:
Hi!!! How's my favourite person who shares my namesake? It's been a while. I've been wondering how you're doing :)

Too bad Montreal totally sucked in hockey this year. *sigh* I still love them and will always be a Habs fan, even when the chips are down.

Jimmy:
Whoa! Shocking!! Did you actually say that the kittens were cute??? Why, I thought I'd never live to see the day when you'd say something like that! ;)

BTW, isn't Chance's coat just HORRIBLE!?!?! I've been working on his coat again this morning. He's got burrs stuck in his coat and even raspberry canes stuck too! What a dog. He loves making his mama work extra hard. *sigh*

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails