Thursday, November 25, 2010

NaBloPoMo Day 25: The End Is Near


I am in sheer disbelief that November is coming to a close.  I am also quite shocked that I've survived posting every day of the month for NaBloPoMo! Wait. The month is not over yet.

Thoughts at large:

- Prince William and Kate Middleton are getting married. There goes my dream of marrying royalty. In all seriousness, I think it's great that they are getting married. Why should we even care? Well, I think it's refreshing to hear something on the news that isn't about terrorism, murder, natural disasters, and all those other depressing things.

- I tried to recreate my friend's curried squash soup.  It turned out really well, except I used pumpkin instead of squash. I  had three pumpkins left over from Halloween. They were actually pie pumpkins, but I used one for the soup.

 Photo from seriouseats.com via Google Images.
Curried Pumpkin Soup Recipe:
1 pumpkin (not too big and not too small), seeded and cubed
cumin
salt and black pepper
curry
chicken stock
a touch of brown sugar
1 onion, chopped
garlic, minced (as much or as little as you like)
water
basil

In a large pot, add water and cubed pumpkin. Add onion and garlic. Cook until pumpkin is soft.  Puree with hand blender or use a potato masher. Add chicken stock, cumin, salt, black pepper, curry, basil, a bit of brown sugar, and cook everything. Let simmer (stirring occasionally). ** I  usually cut the squash or pumpkin in half and then place the halves face down on a baking sheet and bake it in the oven for an hour. I actually prefer it that way, but my friend's technique of just cooking the cubed pieces in a pot seemed a lot faster. The results was equally delicious.** Oh! My friend also uses a bit of peanut butter to add a special hint of "je ne sais quoi"!

Makes a delicious soup for a crisp winter day! Oh, and in case you were wondering...I don't usually use specific quantities in my cooking. Just go by taste, is what I say! ;)

- Little One has become surprisingly clingy. She was never a cuddly baby, and all of a sudden she wants to be with me ALL THE TIME. She wants to be carried, she cries if I leave the room, she wants to cuddle all the time...It's sweet, yet frustrating since I am having a hard time getting things done around the house when I get back from teaching.

- I just realized that I'll be turning 35 in a few weeks. THIRTY-FIVE!!! Yikes.

2 comments:

BusyMamma said...

your soup sounds yummy. I still remember the squash soup you made from the Moosewood Cookbook! That was SOOO good!! (mushrooms and all- and i normally HATE mushrooms!)
LO probably just needs to know you are still there for her because you are spending less time together. I think a lot of kids go through that stage when big changes take place in their lives.

Unknown said...

BusyMamma:
I LOVE that recipe from the Moosewood Vegetarian Cookbook!!! Tee hee! I remember your aversion to mushrooms!!! Thank you for eating to soup even though it had mushrooms in it! :) LOL!

You're right about LO. :( I feel sad that I came home from Zumba and she was already in bed :( No cuddles for Mama before bed :(

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails