Friday, July 20, 2012

Things I Would Like to Teach My Daughter


 Little One is three and a half years old.  She's at a very impressionable age.  She picks up things without me even realizing that she's paying attention.  Ummm...I caught her dancing in the living room and singing, "I'm sexy and I know it. Doo doo doo doo doo doo! Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle!" Where she got that, I have no idea.
I love my little girl. Because of what we had to endure to bring her into this world, I love and appreciate her that much more.

As her Mom, I worry whether we teach her the "right" things. I also worry about what she picks up from other people. The other day, we were at a public venue and her friend tried to get her to run around (which I do not permit my child to do in public places where there are crowds) and then play in the sprinkler that was watering the plants at said venue. Her friend was tugging at the hose and trying to get Little One to join her. I may sound like a total wet blanket for not letting my child be free, but I have concerns about A) safety, B) respect for others, and C) proper codes of conduct.

Anyway, can you imagine how my heart swelled when Little One responded, "I can't! My Mommy doesn't want me to do that"?  I was overjoyed and thrilled beyond compare. It's not just in one ear and out the other for her! She actually pays attention to her Mama!

I was perusing the internet and found these via Google Images. These are some things that I would like Little One to learn.


This does not only apply to children, but to adults as well.  Do you try to live/model the values you hope your children will follow? What is important to you as a parent when raising your child?

14 comments:

Denise G said...

I am not a parent - but I agree totally with you! You only have her best interest at heart :)

Canadian Dad said...

Great message Christine! I try my best to teach my kids the proper values but it's hard to get them to listen sometimes. I'm not so sure that my son would have stopped and said what your daughter did but I sure hope so. Great work Mommy!

Kelly @ City Mom said...

Wow that sounds like music to my ears! It's the best feeling seeing our kids acts with honor & integrity! Great message C!

Anonymous said...

I too am hoping that we are teaching and modelling the right way of doing things to our children. I want my children to be all of the things you mentioned as well. I just hope they help their fellow "people" out and treat everyone with kindness and respect.

Great post Christine!

Mom vs. the boys said...

beautiful! you are doing a great job mama!

Shannon said...

Great post. I love those heart swelling moments.

Unknown said...

Denise:
Thanks so much :) Sometimes I wonder if I'm a bit over the top. Friends say I need to let kids be kids. I agree, but I also think at this age they need guidance. You're not born knowing what's right and wrong or safe and dangerous. LOL!

Unknown said...

Canadian Dad:
I was actually surprised. She shocked me! What kid WOULDN'T be tempted over to the other side!? LOL! Getting into things you're not supposed to is way more fun than following the rules or listening to Mom! She really did surprise me! :) LOL!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Oh what a good girl you have, Christine. She is not only cute, and sweet, but also a good little girl to be proud of.

Love her!

Tarasview said...

those are beautiful and wise for certain :)

Unknown said...

WOW I didn't know she was born so early! I am so happy she is a healthy thriving little girl!! XO As a mother I can relate, I worry so much during my day about teaching our 4 LO's to be the best they can be. I think I worry too much about it because they will naturally pick it up because their parents live their life with pride, kindness & respect! Great post thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post!!

Unknown said...

Kelly:
Thanks so much :) I sometimes wonder if I expect too much since she is after all, only 3.5 years old. This said, I don't think it's "too early" to teach values. :)

Unknown said...

Insane Mamacita:
So true. Helping their fellow people is so important :)

MVTB:
Thank you so much! :)

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails