Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chicken Adobo & Nordic Ware Review


I am excited to announce that in but a few short days, I will be attending the Food Bloggers of Canada Conference!  As a Canadian Beef Brand Ambassador, I am honoured to be attending this event. I can't wait to meet my fellow foodies and chat with some of the people in the food industry!
As someone who is obsessed with FoodNetworkCA, restaurant hopping, taste testing, and creating (and recreating) recipes, this event is something I have been anxiously awaiting!

I'm looking forward to seeing Heather Travis from Canadian Beef again.  She's my #BeefSoulSista!  I'm also excited to chat with Dana McCauley again. She is one of my absolute favourites. 

Included in the conference pass is some fantastic swag!  I recently received three gorgeous pieces from Nordic Ware which I was eager to try out.

The package contained:
  • Nordic Ware Pro Cast Traditions Aluminum 3 qt Dutch Oven
  • Nordic Ware Pro Cast Traditions Aluminum Traditions Braiser
  • Nordic Ware 365 Chicken Leg and Galapeno Griller
 My Nordic Ware items arrived at my home while I was away in Toronto for some social media events and work-related meetings. My wonderful husband BBM'd me the above photos.  Hubby was almost as excited as I was. He knows how happy kitchenware and kitchen gadgets make me!

Luckily for me, I'm staying at @SoberJulie's house and she also has the Nordic Ware (since she's attending the Food Bloggers of Canada Conference as well). I was anxious to use the Nordic Ware items and decided to come up with something quick and easy to make for Julie's family as a thank you for letting me stay at their house until we head to the Hockley Valley Resort on the weekend for the conference.

We gathered up some ingredients in Julie's kitchen and I came up with a classic Filipino dish - Chicken Adobo.

 Check out our friend, Spud!


 I was excited to show SoberJulie how to use her Dutch Oven. The Nordic Ware Pro Cast Traditions Aluminum 3 qt Dutch Ovenworks really well. I was really pleased with the quality of the product. The Dutch Oven is constructed of nonstick cast aluminum for fast and even heat distribution. The textured fused nonstick interior is durable, stain-resistant and allows foods to brown and sear evenly. Safe in oven up to 425 degrees.

What I love about this Dutch Oven is that it is perfect for stews, casseroles, small roasts, and one pot meals.  This is the perfect thing to cook Chicken Adobo in!

CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE

Surprisingly, one of the easiest recipes to make. Once you've attempted this recipe for the first time, you pretty much don't need to follow a recipe after that! Soooooooooo easy!
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb. chicken
1/3 c. vinegar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 medium sized onion, quartered
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small bay leaf
Dash of pepper
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. water
2 tbsp. cooking oil
Combine all ingredients except cooking oil in a pot and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
Simmer covered for 1 hour or until meat is tender. 
Drain and reserve sauce. Heat cooking oil in skillet. Brown meat on all sides. Transfer to a serving dish. Pour off all remaining oil from skillet. Add sauce and cook for a minute or two scraping all browned bits sticking to pan. Pour sauce over meat and serve. Sauce is ideal for steamed rice.
Truth be told, I sometimes cheat and just saute the onion and garlic, add the potatoes, and then the chicken, cover and let cook. Okay, I'll be totally honest. That's what I always do. It turns out just as yummy, but without the extra steps of browning the meat and then pouring the sauce over it.
I was really pleased that Julie's family loved the Chicken Adobo! It was the first time her kids had Filipino food and they really enjoyed it! Yay!

Check out Julie's Nordic Ware Review and Jalapeno Poppers Recipe!


12 comments:

OrangeHeroMama said...

I absolutely LOVE Nordic Ware! I have quite a few pieces in my 'collection'! :)

Sober Julie said...

Thank you so much for making us dinner, as you know the kids LOVED it and I know we'll be making it again soon. This "Christine Classic" will be around the Height family for a while!
Oh and isn't the Nordic Ware amazing

Unknown said...

OHM:
I am in love with my cookingware. There. I said it. LOL I really am obsessed with all things kitchen/cooking! Gimme a kitchen appliance, gadget, tool, cookware item and I'm one happy girl!

Unknown said...

You always have delicious recipes to share! If we lived closer I'm sure my husband would be on your step waiting for an invite for dinner. :) I'm making a big meal tonight but it's a rare occurrence around here these days.

Randa Derkson said...

Noric Ware makes some pretty good quality stuff. Everything I have from them - I love.

Unknown said...

Julie:
My pleasure! I adore your family! Thanks for having me over! Cooking dinner is the least I could do! :) I'm so thrilled that the girls enjoyed the food!!

Unknown said...

Cheryl:
Wish you lived closer too! I'd totally cook dinner for you guys! xo

Unknown said...

Randa:
I know, right? Love it! What I love too is that the Nordic Ware I received matches all my other cookware and kitchen items! RED!!!

Just Us Girls said...

Oh you ladies are going to have so much fun!!

I had never had anything from a Dutch oven before until last weekend when my girlfriend made chicken in hers. It was so delicious, I'm now looking into getting one myself.

You ladies have fun this weekend, I bet it's going to be a blast!

Unknown said...

JUG:
Thanks so much!!! Wish we could get together with you sometime! Would be heaps of fun!!

As for the Dutch Oven...you absolutely need one! :) LOL! If there is one piece of cookware I'd recommend, it would be a good Dutch Oven. Evenly distributes heat and cooks food beautifully!

caninecologne said...

This is such a fool proof recipe! Your recipe is almost exactly like mine; the difference is I use whole black peppercorns.But when TC was small, I just used freshly ground pepper so she wouldn't bit into the peppercorns.

I wish I had that Nordic Ware dutch oven! Very sturdy!

Unknown said...

Canine:
I know most people use black peppercorns. Hubby likes it with the black peppercorns, but Little One finds it has too much "bite"/"heat" when I do it that way. She almost always ends up with whole peppercorns in her mouth and doesn't like how potent they are.

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails