Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Royal Agricultural Winter Fair '12 - Revisited


When I think of my childhood, I remember the field trip I took in grade 2 to La Ferme d'Andre in Ormstown, Quebec. Being a kid who grew up in the 'burbs, farm life was something completely foreign to me.

I'll never forget le grange a Tarzan, going horseback riding, milking cows, feeding the pigs, cuddling adorable little kittens in the barn, and just having a great time with my friends. Ahhh! Childhood at its best! Those memories are still vivid and I always hoped when I had children of my own, I'd be able to offer them that kind of experience as well.

HA!

I never knew I'd end up marrying a farmer!

Back in the Fall, I won tickets to the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair from Toronto4Kids. What a treat for our Little  One (and us)! I think it's so important for children (and adults) to be familiar with agricultural practices and where our food comes from.
We love tweeting  with Farmers Feed Cities. Have you hugged a farmer today? Little One hugs a farmer every day :)
With our friends at Burnbrae Farms. Little One absolutely loves the little chicks!
Can you believe these sculptures were made of butter?
This is one of our favourite exhibits: The Grain Farmers of Ontario's The Grains in Your Life Exhibit"!
I was amazed to see all the household products that can be made from grains. I told my husband that I would love a kitchen counter like the one on display at the Grains in Your Life Exhibit!
Kitchen Countertop
Recycled material bound by corn-based resinEco by Cosentino is made from 75% post-industrial and post-consumer recycled content, bound with a corn based non-toxic resin.
Where to buy: Latitude – 66 Le Page Court, North York ON
www.latitudeonline.ca
www.ecobycosentino.com


The kitchen cabinetry also caught my attention. We're looking at revamping our kitchen and I want to completely gut everything and start anew. The idea  of cabinetry made from soy-based material is really appealing to me.

Panels made using soy-based adhesiveKitchen cabinetry fabricated by Umbrella Cabinetry, made using soy based Pure Bond panels provided by Columbia Forest Products.
Where to buy: Umbrella Cabinetry, 375 Britannia Rd E, Unit 1
www.umbrellacabinetry.com
www.columbiaforestproducts.com
 Even the sprayfoam insulation and the coffee table were made from grain products! My husband was busy chatting up with the Grain Farmers of Ontario people. So many interesting things  to see and learn about!

Incidentally, the Grain Farmers of Ontario's The Grains in Your Life Exhibit will be shown at the Green Living Show in Toronto this weekend! It's definitely worth checking out!

Learning by doing.

The Royal Agricultural is a great event to take the family to. Our little one spent her 4th birthday at "The Royal".

2 comments:

Tim said...

Very neat about the Ontario Grain farmers booth. Didn't know household products could be made of grains!

Unknown said...

Tim:
Neither did I! We learned a lot that day! You have to check out the Grain Farmers of Ontario 's booth/ exhibit!

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails