Monday, April 01, 2013
7:30 AM | Posted by Christine McN | Edit Post
This time of the year is especially fun on the farm because it's maple syrup making time! This year the run has been a great one and the trees are yielding a lot of sap. There's nothing more delicious than the sweet, smokey flavour of homemade maple syrup!
Maple syrup time has prompted many new recipes and resurrected many family favourites.
Maple BBQ Ribs
Dry rub of your favourite pork rub spices (you can buy or make your own)
* My pork rub spices consist of: salt, freshly ground black pepper, cinnamon, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and a few different herbs)
apple juice (about 1/2 c per rack)
Trim fat from ribs and with a sharp knife, score the meaty part of the ribs.
Rub in your pork rub and wrap in plastic wrap. Let rub sit a few hours or overnight. I do mine for overnight so all the flavours really set.
Put "packets" back on BBQ. Cook on grill until meat is completely cooked.
In a pot (if you have an element to cook on or boil sauce in a pot, that's perfect), make a jus with the pork fat and apple juice from each foil packet, 1/2 to 3/4 c maple syrup, salt, hot pepper sauce (if you don't have hot pepper sauce, you can use 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper.
Baste ribs with sauce/jus. When the meat is cooked, tender and about to fall off the bone, it's time to enjoy!
- Keurig Brewer ~ Top 5 Things I Love About Our Keur...
- Grow Mushrooms @mushroomscanada @BTTRVentures
- 30-Day Photo Challenge #MonthOfMom #PGMom
- Why Buy Local ~ @eggsoeufs
- #WordlessWednesday Slimy Sally w/ Linky
- Where to Print Photos? We Love @PosterjackDotCA
- What Memories are Made of ~ DQ & Orange Julius #LM...
- Rainbow Pinwheel Cookies
- What is Earth Day About?
- Mother's Day Gift Ideas via @PosterjackDotCa
- Twistos! Snack, Dip or Add a Twist to your Salad! ...
- Earth Day for Kids ~ @myfunkins Helps with #Litter...
- Food Bloggers of Canada Conference - Catalyst for ...
- #WordlessWednesday @FoodBloggersCA Kitchen Aid Fun...
- Country Living - Favourite Recipes @LifeMadeDelis...
- BBQ'd Beef Roast ~ Manitoulin Shawarma
- Make a pledge to a more confident smile with @Cres...
- Chicken Adobo & Nordic Ware Review
- Royal Agricultural Winter Fair '12 - Revisited
- Second Hand Shop Like No Other ~ Perfect Threads
- Filipino BBQ #Recipe
- Perfectly Posh Party with @orbfactory!
- #WordlessWednesday ~ Macarons & The Marriott
- Maple BBQ Ribs #recipe
- 2012 (270)
- 2011 (255)
- 2010 (299)
- 2009 (195)
- 2008 (218)
- 2007 (284)
- 2006 (287)
Brand Ambassador for
100 self-taught things baby bed rest during pregnancy blogging woes books candy contest cool stuff culture Cupcake Decorating 101 dreams Engrish family food friends fun give away green living healthy living holidays hospital hubby International Cuisine Nights Island living Japan kids life on the farm love Meatless Monday meme Mommy Mishaps movies music NaBloPoMo nostalgia pantry potions parenting pets preemie product reviews Project Live Out of Your Fridge PS2 questions racism ranting and venting recipes restaurant reviews shout out teaching the blog the garden thoughts Throwback Thursday toddler too funny travel tv weird
© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.
About the Blog Author
City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!