Monday, April 08, 2013

Filipino BBQ #Recipe


My Mom's BBQ has always been a favourite in our family.  Friends who have tried my Mom's Filipino BBQ have always wanted her to bottle the recipe and sell it! Mom never gave out her recipe, but would tell them what the ingredients were.

I used to think she never gave out her recipe because she didn't want anyone to know it or be able to reproduce it, but I've come to realize that there is no real recipe. She just goes by taste.

I've tried out a few recipes and have come up with one that is a hit! My husband and four year old daughter pretty much inhale this Filipino pork BBQ!


Filipino BBQ

Ingredients:
2 lbs pork
1 c. soy sauce
1 whole garlic, peeled, smashed, and minced
1 onion, minced
2 lemons
1/2 c. 7-Up
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
5 tbsp brown sugar
1 c. Mafran filipino banana sauce (Jufran or UFC are okay, but I prefer Mafran) *If you can't get filipino banana sauce, you can use ketchup
1/2 c smooth peanut butter (optional)

Instructions:
Cut pork into bite sized cubes (about 2 inches)
In a large container or tupperware, add soy sauce, garlic, onion, juice of 2 lemons, ground pepper, brown sugar, 7-Up, Mafran and peanut butter. Mix marinade well.
Add pork to the marinade, seal container and refrigerate overnight. The longer you marinate it, the better the flavour!
Soak bamboo skewers in water.


I actually used 1 lb pork and 1 lb beef because that's what I had handy. I have to admit that I though the BBQ tastes amazing with either choice of meat, I love the pork version best. I've even tried this with venison. The marinade is what makes it! Clearly, the secret is in the sauce!

After you have marinated your meat, take a bamboo skewer and "tuhog" the meat. Tuhog means skewer/BBQ stick in Cebuano (a Filipino dialect). I remember as a kid, my mom would always ask me to "tuhog" the meat when we had parties. To this day, every time I make Filipino BBQ, I remember all the family parties and it brings back fond memories. It's kind of like a rite of passage. My 4 year old wanted to help me, but I was worried she'd get splinters or pierce her fingers with the skewers. She assisted me in the kitchen by adding the ingredients to the marinade after I minced, cut, chopped, and measured.


Once you've put all the meat onto skewers, cook them on the BBQ until fully cooked.


Enjoy! This is one of our favourites!

6 comments:

caninecologne said...

hi c! you're so right about there not being a tried and true recipe. it's all by sight and taste and whatever you have on hand.

my mom makes her version different everytime. she'll sometimes use 7up or sometimes pineapple juice. she also uses the banana ketchup too which gives it a nice color and flavor.

as for myself, i just eyeball it. i like adding pineapple or sometimes even orange juice for the acidic component. oh yeah, and lots and lots of garlic!

Alessandrina said...

Thanks for your recipe share. It looks very tasty.
Cheers.
~Dreena~

Unknown said...

Canine:
My Mom uses ketchup and said she's never heard of anyone using Mafran like I did. She thought that was weird. LOL!

Mmm! Pineapple juice would be good!!

Unknown said...

Dreena:
:) Let me know if you try making this! Would love to know what you think!

caninecologne said...

I've never used regular ketchup, but my mom said it could be used if banana ketchup isn't available. i love the taste of mafran in the marinade.

Unknown said...

Canine:
I love the banana ketchup too. It's just hard to get here. I've only seen UFC and Jufran in Canada. We used to get Mafran (and that's the only banana ketchup I like---yeah, I'm a snob). I brought two bottles of Mafran from the Philippines and have been rationing what I've got!

Do they sell Mafran in the U.S.?

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails