Thursday, March 15, 2007

Life is good :)


With the warmer weather, fresh air, lots of beautiful sunshine, and birds chirping, it's not difficult to feel energized and rejuvinated. It's March Break and our homestay student is on a ski trip with his friend and his friend's family, so you'd think Hubby and I would finally have some alone time :) Instead, I've volunteered to have our little nieces over. They are the absolute cutest girls ever...and they are SO helpful!

Today, while Hubby's out working, the nieces and I have some chores of our own:
water all the plants in the greenhouse
feed the animals
make an apple crumble
make two kinds of salad, homemade vegetable soup and sandwiches for lunch
wash the container so we can boil the maple syrup
go out and collect all the sap from the maple trees that we've tapped (to make our own maple syrup)
do a few loads of laundry
clean the old couch, since the naughty kittens peed on it! Thank goodness it wasn't the new sofas that they peed on! Bad kittens!!
vacuum
played Karaoke Revolution Party on PS2
play some hockey (the things my nieces get me to do with them! LOL)
re-arrange furniture in the games room
re-arrange furniture in the master bedroom
clean bathroom
answer e-mail queries from ESL students
bank run
post office- mail parcel
think of something to cook for supper! LOL!

I'm curious to see how our maple syrup will turn out. It will be our first attempt at making our own!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun Chris. I'm glad it's March break and you can get a break from the student yourself. Maple syrop huh! You make sure to bring some for me next time you come down!

Ms. Mamma said...

Chistine Can you bottle some of yourself and send it to me? You rock! You inspire me to get out of the fog.

Anonymous said...

Your own maple syrup!!That sounds like a dream to me.
I have been busy cooking and freezing our own apples,have dug the last of our potatoes, am still picking tomatoes, beans and courgettes, very satisfying to be able to grow and eat your own produce! Mmm must think about growing some maple trees.......

Unknown said...

AHMM: Yes, it's really fun! The girls and I were out today, collecting buckets of sap so we can begin the boiling process. I'll take some down for you next time I visit.

Ms.Mamma: LOL! Thanks, Ms.H! Today was just a very productive day. I figured, we could laze around since it's March Break and there's no school, but we had loads of things to do. The girls and I enjoyed being outdoors anyway. It was lots of fun.

merinz: I always enjoy reading your comments :) Thank you so, so much for popping by every now and then! It sounds like you've got a lot of produce too! I do the same thing as you do. I pick, cook and freeze our produce and we always have some on hand for the winter season. It's great...and there's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment, pride and joy you get from growing your own produce! I can't wait until summer...we've got really gorgeous, sweet raspberries on our farm!!

Anonymous said...

Real Canadian Maple syrup! Must be tasty!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention raspberries - ours are ripe now, we have a spring lot and then in late summer they fruit again. Upside down side of the world we live in!

Unknown said...

merinz: Do you live on a farm too? Or do you just have a massive garden??? :) Sounds divine! I'm still waiting for the day that I get to visit NZ. It's always been on my list of places to visit. I even tried to answer a skills testing question for Lord of the Rings so I could win a trip to NZ for two! Instead, I won two tickets to the premier and to the party at Casa Loma (a 'castle' in Toronto). It was televised and by VIP only. I know...beneath it all, lays the secret trivia geek in me! ;)

Unknown said...

Pete: We'll soon find out if it's tasty! I know the maple syrup we buy from the farmer's market is really good. I hope ours turns out well! I'll let you know!

From Our Farm to Your Table

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails