Thursday, March 02, 2006

An Unusual Condition


As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, I've got a very unusual condition. I haven't been able to get much information on it, so if anyone out there knows more about it, please let me know.

Coffee has an adverse effect on me. Instead of giving me that extra jolt of energy, it puts me immediately to sleep. It knocks me out cold. To my disappointment, I experience this even with the mildest coffees. I love the smell and taste of coffee--the aroma is so inviting. The only problem is that as soon as I drink it, I immediately feel a wave of warmth inside me and my eyes begin to get heavy. My entire body just feels it right away.

My poor hubby-to-be! We were on our way to Sudbury and we popped by Tim Horton's. Of course we wanted to grab a cup coffee (and see if we could win me a Rav4 in the "Roll Up the Rim tp Win" contest). Knowing I have this "condition", I asked for a "half hot chocolate/half French vanilla", thinking that this would be okay. After all, it wasn't all coffee and I thought that the hot chocolate part would dillute whatever chemicals or properties of caffeine from coffee that makes me sleepy.

Ooooooooof! Was I ever wrong! The hot drink was wonderful, but J looked over at me in the passenger seat and could see that it was hitting me. I passed out!!! Right before his very eyes! It's the weirdest thing ever!

I read somewhere before that most people become wired when they drink coffee and can't fall asleep. The article said that there's something like less than 5% of people who become sleepy when they consume coffee. I have lost the article and can't seem to find much else on the subject.

The funny thing is that caffeine consumed in other forms like hot chocolate, tea, iced tea, and pop have no effect on me. I don't drink the stuff much in the first place though--maybe a handful of times a year. My drink of choice is water, but once in a blue moon it's nice to have a little variation. Oh, I have tried Iced Cappucinos and coffee flavored ice cream before and did not fall asleep. I'm wondering if the cold factor has anything to do with things? Do the chemical properties of the coffee become altered and is that why cold caffeinated products don't have that effect on me?

Urgh. Maybe I'm just a freak? Anti-caffeine Girl or Coffee Sleeper Girl should have been my nickname options!!

If anyone out there knows anything about my strange coffee condition, please let me know! Thanks!!

0 comments:

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails