Saturday, November 28, 2009

Something I Want to Try


In May, my cousin got married to one of the sweetest, kindest, most wonderful people I've ever met. Their wedding had me in tears because just by looking at the couple, you could feel the love they shared. It just radiated from their smiles and the way they looked at each other. I always cry at weddings, but this time it was different. It was a very special wedding, indeed.

At the reception/dinner, they had the most beautiful wedding cupcakes. I didn't get to try them because I left the party early. We stayed for the ceremony, the dinner, a bit of the dance, but the baby needed to nurse and go to sleep for the night.

At the brunch the next morning, there were a few cupcakes left from the night before. I was lucky enough to get to try one.

Oh. My. Goodness.
Can I tell you that these were the best cupcakes I have ever had?!

I have been thinking of making them to include in my Christmas baking this year. I found this recipe online at www.Cooks.com and I hope it is similar to the one we tried at the wedding. The only thing is that the recipe on Cooks.com calls for chocolate cake mix from a box. I don't use ready made mixes, so I think I'll just use one of my chocolate cake/cupcake recipes.
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH CREAM CHEESE
FILLING

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 egg
Dash of salt
1/3 c. sugar
1 (6 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips
Mix cake mix per instructions for cupcakes on box. Fill each paper liner to half full. Next, cream the cheese with the egg, salt and sugar. When smooth, add chocolate chips and stir well. Drop creamed mixture by large teaspoonfuls, 1 per cupcake. Bake per mix instructions (usually 350 degrees for 20 minutes). After cooled, frost.
The recipe looks simple enough. In fact, it looks so easy that even my husband can make it! It's kind of like one of those "half made homemade"/"homemade from a box"/fake out recipes.

I can't remember what kind of frosting was used on the wedding cupcakes. I don't know if it was a cream cheese frosting or a butter cream frosting. Anyway, here's a frosting recipe for you. Sorry, but it's definitely not figure friendly!!!

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pound (3 1/2 cups) sifted confectioners sugar
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons milk

Preparation:

Cream butter, salt, and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy. Add sugar gradually, beating after each addition. Add 3 tablespoons milk, beating until smooth. Beat in more milk until desired spreading consistency is reached. Makes about 2 1/3 cups of frosting, enough to frost tops and sides of of an 8-inch 2-layer cake or a 10-inch tube or bundt cake, or about 1 dozen cupcakes.

I wonder if I could do the cream cheese filling with chocolate brownies? Think it would turn out?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi - I enjoy your blog and am anxious to try the cupcake recipe..

BTW you have one of the most adorable babies I have ever seen - she is such a blessing

Laura

USA

Unknown said...

Laura:
Thank you! :) I tried the recipe tonight and the cupcakes turned out really well! They taste just like the cupcakes I tried at my cousin's wedding!

Thank you for the compliments :) Little One has come a long way. Unbelievable how she was in an incubator for almost two months in the beginning and now she's almost walking!!!

P.S. Do you have a blog too?

hotmommy said...

holy crap! that looks so fking delicious! i am so coming over for cupcakes! give me a few hours! i can be there in 6 hrs! sorry i've been busy-will call and catch up soon. luv ya!

Calfkeeper said...

Oh, YUM! You are right, I HAVE to try these. Thanks for posting it!

Dee said...

wow those do look super yummy!! i am going to try them too...only problem is WHO is going to eat them??? Likely me...

J said...

YUM.

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails