Sunday, February 22, 2009

How's this for Artery Clogging?


Since Jeanna was so kind as to educate me on "the funnel cake", I thought I'd reciprocate. In these parts, we've got something we call the Beaver Tail. Yes, Jimmy. I did say "beaver" and "tail" in the same sentence.

Remember this post? I mentioned Beaver Tails before, but never really described what they were. Beaver Tails Canada Inc. is responsible for making these delicious treats accessible to the masses. A Beaver Tail is basically fried dough that looks like a beaver tail. Common toppings include the traditional cinnamon and sugar, maple walnut, chocolate and banana, and chocolate hazelnut.

I don't indulge in sweets often, but every now and then I'll cave and have a bite of something decadent, rich, and flavourful. Since Beaver Tails aren't something we come across too often, if we ever happen to find a Beaver Tail stand, Hubby and I go for the cinnamon and sugar tail. I'm a fairweather chocaholic, but I don't ever go for the chocolate-banana or chocolate hazelnut. For Beaver Tails, you've gotta go traditional. Jeanna's a purist when it comes to chocolate. I'm a purist when it comes to Beaver Tails.Photo "borrowed" from The Casual Baker. Hey, it was the best pic I could find with Google Images! :)

Here's a Beaver Tail recipe, if you are feeling ambitious.
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 pinch white sugar
  • 1 cup warm milk
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 5 cups whole wheat flour, or as needed

  • 1 quart oil for frying

  • 2 cups white sugar, or as needed
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
  1. In a large bowl, stir together the yeast, warm water, and a pinch of sugar. Let stand until slightly foamy, about 5 minutes.
  2. When the yeast is foamy, add the other 1/3 cup of sugar, milk, vanilla, eggs, oil and salt, and stir until smooth. Mix in about 3 cups of the flour, stirring with a spoon, then gradually add more flour, turning the dough out onto a floured surface when it is firm enough to handle. Knead for 5 to 8 minutes adding flour as needed to form a firm elastic dough. Place dough in a greased bowl, and cover. Let rise until doubled, about 30 to 40 minutes.
  3. Gently deflate the dough, and pinch off a golf ball-sized piece of dough. On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll the ball out to an oval. Set aside to rest covered with a tea towel, and continue with remaining dough.
  4. Heat about 4 inches of oil for frying in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). If you do not have a deep fryer, a wok or Dutch oven will work. I toss in a tiny bit of dough and see if it sizzles and swells immediately. If it does, the oil temperature is where it should be.
  5. Just before placing the beaver tails in the oil, stretch the ovals out into a tail shape, thinning and enlarging them as you do. Carefully place the tails in the hot oil one or two at a time. Fry, turning once, until the tails are a deep brown, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove using tongs and drain on paper towels.
  6. Place remaining 2 cups of sugar in a large bowl, and stir in cinnamon if you are using it. Toss beaver tails in the sugar bowl while they are still hot. Shake off excess.
A friend gave me her recipe, but there are some things I'd rather other people make for me! The Beaver Tail Inc. people are the people who have perfected the recipe.

I've never made them before. I don't love them that much to want to make them. It's just one of those things that are great to enjoy as a treat when you're at a summer event or if you find yourself standing in front of the Beaver Tail kiosk in Old Montreal, Ottawa, Tobermory...Here's a photo I took when my students and I went to Tobermory.

Now for something totally unrelated...

Yes, I know she's telling me to stop taking videos and change her diaper already!!!

13 comments:

caninecologne said...

hi c!
awww! so cute! love her fussy face! her crying doesn't seem that loud (at least in that video). tc was a screamer.

word ver -

underra

(underoos)

Karen MEG said...

That video is sweeter than any beavertail I've ever had...

But now you've got me hankering for one. Thank goodness they look to be a lot of work to make...easier on my gall bladder LOL!

Uncivil said...

Oh yeah..me hot for Beaver Tail! Only you can say Beaver and Tail in the same sentence and get away with it!LOL

I knew something was up about the 25 or 26 second mark of that little video clip? I was thinking that reminds me of the way I feel when nature calls.....then I hear "Ew...I know why you're crying....you need a diaper change"!!!LOL

That was precious....you need to show that to her first boyfriend 20 years from now!!!!!!

word ver; slyonasp

Unknown said...

Canine:
Ooooooooooh! Nice profile pic! ;p Well, LO is not reeeeeeeeeeally a screamer. She's more of a quiet "ahhh...ahhh" kind of crier. HOWEVER, every now and then she'll wail like you would not believe! All in all, we're pretty lucky though.

Isn't her fussy face funny? LOL! The bottom lip wasn't quivering like it normally does when she cries though.

word ver: rencedin
Kind of like "Hey! Your hair's rencedin!" (receding, get it? Okay, not funny)

Unknown said...

Karen:
Awwww...Thanks :) Sweet, crying and all?

I hear ya re: beaver tail. Too much work to bother making! LOL! I'll wait until the summer when we're near a beaver tail kiosk somewhere!

Cherry said...

I love her little squeak after her yawn!

The beaer tails sound yummy, but I'm also a big fan of fried dough. Funnel cakes are my husband's favorites. I'm with you on the cinnamon sugar route. Simple is almost always better.

Unknown said...

Uncivil:
LOL! Oh, Jimmy! Your comment totally cracked me up! Hubby must think I'm nuts laughing by myself at the computer. That, or he might think I'm so exhausted from lack of sleep that me laughing by myself is normal.

HAHA! You knew LO was pooping?!?! LOL! I think the little squirting noise and the look on her face might have given it away. Fun!

Unknown said...

Cherry:
The little squeak at the end of the yawn is my favourite part! So cute. I was going to post a video of her lifting her head (she's very proud of that new skill! LOL!) but I was kind of yelling at Hubby when he wasn't supporting her neck. I know I'm a freak and he wouldn't have let her hurt herself, but hey.

Jeanna said...

Of course she needs a diaper change, she's been hitting those beaver tail kiosks!
I'd say a maple beaver sounds like the purist kanook type tail.
Can't help but notice the Edward icon from Canine, did you see him at the Oscars?
I gained ten pounds just reading your post, C. Touché and such?
Ooh, Kimmel's after Oscar show is on.

Rosie : ) said...

The best beaver tail I ever had was when we went skating on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa when I was 10 years old. After a vigorous afternoon skating, the warm gooey cinnamon and sugar combo with a scalding hot chocolate was the perfect wrap-up to a cold day. I have to admit I am a purist also, the cinnamon and sugar is the only type I like! :)

Unknown said...

Jeanna:
You've got a point. Maple sounds more traditional than cinnamon and sugar!

You should check out Canine's blog. I think you two would like each other. You both share the same sense of humour. Plus, you posted about gummy brains and she posted a photo of a real heart for Valentine's Day. Nice! LOL!

Word ver: sonsop

Unknown said...

Rosie:
Oooooh! That was pretty nostalgic! Skating on the Rideau Canal, a beaver tail and hot chocolate. Nice!

Unknown said...

Jeanna:
Too funny! The Google Ads at the bottom of my blog is for "Funnel Cake Recipes".

From Our Farm to Your Table

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails