Sunday, February 08, 2009

Spit Up Is My Middle Name


Before I had a baby, I never gave much thought to things like:
*The difference between "spit up" and "throw up".
*Large, yellow, seedy, pasty poop vs. loose, runny, brown poop.
*"Engorged" and "engorgement" being related to breastfeeding and not something else (again, minds out of the gutter, people)!
*Laundry

Yes, oodles and oodles of laundry! It seems we are constantly doing laundry! It's hard to believe someone as little as Little One can go through so many outfits in a day! Today we had a major "explosion" in her diaper and EVERYTHING was soiled. Ugh. I've got a weak stomach and horrible gag reflex, but it's funny how when it's your own kid, things change. Well, it was still icky!

Then there was this rancid smell all day. I was in bed and kept telling Hubby, "Something STINKS!!!" and pretty much insisted that it was his feet! I felt horrible when I realized that earlier on in the day I was exercising with the baby (just a combination of cardio/dance and resistance training) and Little One spat up all over me. It was actually ME that stunk the entire day and not Hubby. *sigh*

Here are some laundry photos:
I have NEVER seen so much pink in my life!!!Hubby and I decided when we found out I was pregnant that we would not find out the sex of the baby until the baby arrived. We got everything in gender neutral colours (yellows and greens). I've never been much of a pink fan myself, but when our friends and family found out we had a girl, in came all the pink outfits!!Again, sorry for the cell phone camera pics. Horrible quality, but I think I lost our digital camera under all the laundry!
In her defence, Little One did not go through ALL those clothes, blankets, bibs, and burping pads in one day. Some of the items had to be washed because we wash all of the clothes with baby detergent before she wears them for the first time.

18 comments:

Jeanna said...

You can tell I'm from a large family, cuz even without a kid I was always mindful of the difference between spit up and throw up.
That is one well dressed baby.

Anonymous said...

Aww very cute.

Charlotte is a big spitter upper as well (I am actually trying starting today, to cut out dairy and see if it helps). Worst part is...she ONLY spits up on me. I went through 3 pairs of Pjs last night between 8pm and bedtime!

Heidi said...

Awwwwww.

And wow. I can't imagine doing that right now. I suppose I'll at least have 9 months of mental preparation before all the action. :)

E said...

Miss you!

Jan said...

My children both did projectile spit up. Not fun.

Dee said...

pics are very cute!!
I LOVE PINK!!!
as for laundry all i can say is OXY!! It is my best friend, i throw a scoop in with all my laundry and it seems to get all the stains out!! sometimes i soak the really dirty stuff in it for a few hours/days and then it comes out super clean! also i spray the poopy clothes with spray and wash before i throw in the washer...that helps A LOT!!

I also blamed hubby for some awful smell when i realized i was walking around with a shoulder covered in spit up for hours! I insisted the house smelled...mean while it was me!!
our poor hubbies!

Unknown said...

Jeanna:
Sadly, my topics of conversation these days usually involve spit up, throw up and poop! LOL!
Oh, she is a well dressed baby, eh? LOL! Far better dressed than her mom and pops! The kid has more clothes than us put together!

Unknown said...

Fancy:
I've been trying to figure out why she spits up at EVERY feed :( Maybe some babies are just spitter-uppers? Maybe she's drinking too much? I thought with breast feeding it was impossible to eat too much?

Unknown said...

CK:
I thought I'd have 9 months of mental preparation too!!! Then she arrived! Remember, I had her at 6 months gestation. I don't think I was "ready". I was just getting used to all the kicking and moving she was doing inside there. I was just getting used to the idea that we were having a baby! *sigh* Then she came 12 weeks early.

Unknown said...

Esther:
I MISS YOU TOOOOOO! Can't wait until you're back for a visit! XO

Rosie : ) said...

The good news is that the laundry will dwindle a bit (as well as the amount of diapers you are going through) as she gets older. And the advantage is also that the clothes get bigger, so it feels like less ! (aka - folding less laundry)


Very cute post. :)

she gets lovlier everytime you show us pictures!

Uncivil said...

Read this little ditty some chic wrote, and warn John of things to come!

"One day my mother was out and my dad was in charge of me.

I was maybe 2 1/2 years old. Someone had given me a little 'tea set' as a gift and it was one of my favorite toys.

Daddy was in the living room engrossed in the evening news when I brought Daddy a little cup of 'tea', which was just water. After several cups of tea and lots of praise for such yummy tea, my Mom came home.

My Dad made her wait in the living room to watch me bring him a cup of tea, because it was 'just the cutest thing!' My Mom waited, and sure enough, here I came down the hall with a cup of tea for Daddy and she watched him drink it up.

Then she says, (as only a mother would know.. :)


"Did it ever occur to you that the only place she can reach to get water is the toilet?"

word verif......desist
as in cease and desist?

Anonymous said...

Oh how beautiful Little one is. She is growing so fast. And don't worry the laundry eventually evens out.

J said...

That spit up just doesn't come out with Dreft. Once she gets old enough and you can go back to regular detergent, it will come out. But Maya broke out with Tide, so we did Dreft as well. Sigh.

Wait until she's almost three and you're changing diapers. Your gag reflex works really well then. At least, mine did. A baby on breastmilk is nothing like a baby on FOOD. Blech.

Bubba said...

Glad Little one is doing so well... Twin A won't stop crying, I'll trade you....

Momisodes said...

Ah yes, the endless laundry. I certainly remember that. I promise. It gets better. Once the spit up and seedy poop ends. It's amazing the tiny cracks seedy poop can make its way into!

Jeanna said...

Did I mention how much I like that last outfit?

Karen MEG said...

G was a spitter too ... laundry was my middle name for her first year.
I love these posts, C, you are enjoying motherhood, and it's wonderful :)

From Our Farm to Your Table

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails