Friday, February 06, 2009

I'm in love with another man...


Well, not really. I'm just in love with the idea of a man who can cook! Mind you, Hubby can make an amazing pasta salad, a fantastic open-faced tomato sandwich...and he is the King of the Grill! Hubby makes this great potato/onion/mushroom dish (on the BBQ grill, of course!). He refuses to let me know what the secret spices are. I'll get it out of him one day.

I've been watching a lot of Chef at Home, Everyday Italian, Barefoot Contessa, and Ace of Cakes these days while nursing my always hungry Little One. *sigh* I haven't mastered the art of one-handed typing (get your minds out of the gutter!) yet. Typing and nursing the baby isn't something I'm very good at.

Anyway, I made my Cream of Leek and Potato Soup for supper a few nights ago. My mom just loooooooooves Cream of Potato and Leek Soup. A few nights later, my dad made his Split Pea Soup. I thought it was interesting that Chef at Home's Michael Smith made Split Pea Soup on the episode that showed that day. A few days ago, I jotted down the recipe for his French Onion Soup! Mmmmm.

Can you tell I've been in the mood for soup these days?

Because I'm in the sharing mood, here's the recipe for my Cream of Leek and Potato Soup:
3 tbsp. butter (though, you can use more if you like)
6 leeks, washed & coarsely cut
6 potatoes, peeled & diced
1 qt. water
1 qt. chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
2 c. light cream or milk
Melt butter in saucepan. Add leeks and coat until soft. Add potatoes, onions, water, salt and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Simmer 45 minutes. Press soup through a sieve, or whirl in a blender to make a smooth puree. I usually add the milk or cream at the end, right before serving. You don't have to do this, but make sure when you add the milk or cream, your soup isn't boiling. You don't want to make the milk curdle. Heat, serve in cups with a pat of butter floating in each (if you wish).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm We don't watch a lot of cooking shows but we LOVE Ace of Cakes!

Bacardi Mama said...

This soup sounds so yummy. I will sure be trying it. I've had a taste for soup lately too. I made taco soup this week and bean soup last week.

Jeanna said...

Ah, a man that can actually cook, not assume he can cook better than you but never does.

Dee said...

your soup sounds so good!! it's 2am and i'm super hungry now!!
i have a huge bag of potatoes in the kitchen so i think i'll be making your soup!! thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

AM:
I JUST discovered Ace of Cakes last week! I an amazed with what those guys can do! I call them "cake artists"! ;p

Unknown said...

Bacardi Mama:
Hi! Thanks for popping by! I think I had soup 3 days out of the last 7! Taco soup!!!! Have you posted the recipe on your blog?
I'll be off to check you out sometime later on in the day. It's 5AM now and I just put the baby back to sleep :)

Unknown said...

Jeanna:
True, true! Hey, ever wonder why it seems like all the "top chefs" in the world are men, but usually when at home it's the women that do most of the cooking???

I know it's not always like that. Just sayin' that it's nice to not have to cook all the time. Hint, hint! Wonder if Hubby is reading this?

Unknown said...

Dina:
I was just thinking last week how I miss all the cooking you used to do when we were roommies!! I was craving your special meatball dish that you make!

A huge bag of potatoes!! You can also make cream of broccoli soup, chowder, cream of zucchini soup...the list goes on. Mmmmm potatoes! LOL!

Cherry said...

ohh...I watch his show when I'm up in Canada visiting my brother. That chef guy is really TALL but I love the way he cooks.

Hmmmm soup sounds really good.

Karen MEG said...

I love him too,C...:)

From Our Farm to Your Table

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails