Saturday, April 29, 2006

Much Ado About Nothing


What a gorgeous day it is today! Early this AM my seamstress came over to do alterations on my wedding dress. Before she left, she said, "What are you doing today?" We didn't have anything concrete planned other than usual chores. We've got 2 motel rooms booked this weekend. She said, "Okay. I'm picking you up at 1PM and we're going out."

Off we went to the Daffodil Tea. Here on the island, it's customary for the women to go out and bond. Teas and bazaars are common meeting places for women to just spend time with friends, check out and purchase local crafts and baked goods, and just get away from the homefront for a few hours. It's LOTS of fun!! I know, this doesn't sound like the me I was when I lived in the city--but I really, really LOVE this lifestyle!! Looking forward to the Mother's Day Tea and the Hospital Auxilliary Tea coming up two weeks from now.

While with the ladies, everyone kept reminding me of our upcoming nuptials. "You've got 48 days to go!", "Six weeks until the big day!", "Congratulations to you and John!". Let me tell you, when you live in such a small community, news travels fast and everyone knows everything about your life even before you do! :)
Anyway, many people asked if I am nervous yet. Nervous? Should I be? lol I think my mother is more stressed out about the wedding than J and I are!

Every tiny detail has to be meticulously planned wayyyyyyyyyy ahead of time. The table cloths have to drop at a certain length above the floor. Details, details. So, my mom asked why we're not nervous. Goodness...imagine if I were as stressed as she is? Better that at least one of us isn't stressed. It would be a mess if I were as wound up as she. I'm sure everything will be beautiful :) Noooo worries! Weddings...so much ado about nothing. Let me rephrase that. I'm not taking away the importance of this very special day, but all I'm saying is that one shouldn't make one's self sick over one day out of one's entire life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"one shouldn't make one's self sick over one day out of one's entire life."

...Until one's mother kidnaps one's bride 2 hours before the wedding is due to start and holds her hostage at the hairdressers and refuses to let you speak to her even though one's bride was intending to co-ordinate all the last minute details of one's wedding, leaving one's self to sort himself out along with the decorations, food, flower arrangements, liquor, guests, ministers, and suddenly bogged-under yard, all the while trying to shave, get one's tux on and generally make oneself look pretty all the while wondering if one'll ever see one's bride again...

Bitter? Moi?

Unknown said...

I remember your wedding :) Dina and I were there. It was a beautiful wedding, Stephen :) Anyway, if it all went as planned, it wouldn't be as exciting! lol I think all weddings need a little element of surprise! Gives you more stories to tell people years after the wedding!!

From Our Farm to Your Table

Blog Archive

Farmers Feed Cities

You Can Find Me Here!




Affiliates

Brand Ambassador for

For Fellow Bloggers

Connect With Advertisers - Sign up for SocialSpark!
A Reliable Blogger

Proud Recipient

© 2006 - 2012 Life on Manitoulin. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About the Blog Author


City girl moves to the country, falls in love, and marries a farmer. She tries to incorporate her city ways with her new country lifestyle and blogs to keep in touch with friends, family & students who live far, far away :) Can this city girl go country? Watch as she learns all sorts of exciting things about life on the farm and in a small rural community. *UPDATE* We are now parents! Our baby girl was born on Nov. 11, 2008 (at 28 weeks gestation- 12 weeks premature, but she's quite the trooper)!!!
Contact Me

Les Boutons!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Life on Manitoulin: Just a bunch of ramblings from a city girl gone country!

Let's Connect

Members

Support


Photobucket


Related Posts with Thumbnails